Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Crack in my rear

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dropthabass, Aug 13, 2008.

1. I've managed to pick up a smallish crack in the rear tyre - just wondering a) if it's worth worrying about, and b) if it is, what should I do about it?

Tyres are Pilot Powers

2. Looks like you've run over a sharp object, rather than being a 'crack'.
    I'd be replacing it ..
  3. Typical Pilots ;)

They almost always do that :(

Depends on the depth, it may need replacing.
  4. I woulds have thought put a patch inside the tire behind the cut and you'll be OK? Why not send the pic to Michelin (they have an Aussie website) and get there advice?
  5. Open up the split a bit with a blunt screwdriver or similar and have a look down it. If you can't see the tyre cords, you should be OK.

I'd keep an eye on it though.
  6. Yeah mate, that's there so you've got somewhere to pull excuses out of.
  7. hehe took ya long enough
  8. So I should replace it, or maybe get it patched, or just don't worry about it ...

9. [​IMG]?

10. I thought this was going to be a photoshoot from Loz's last group ride :rofl:.
  11. Get it checked by a professional at a bike tire shop. It may be nothing, but if it blew out while going for a quick sprint, it could be catastrophic.

As you said, the "professionals" on this site seem to have varying opinions. Even a slow leak in the middle of no-where is a hassle (and looks too big for a ridside plug).
  12. It's burnout time, I reckon.