Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Covert cameras don't work.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by rc36, Jun 2, 2010.

1. this from news.com.au

"The Queensland Police Union has questioned Qovernment claims that covert speed cameras are behind a fall in road deaths.

The Government announced the introduction of covert speed cameras and unmarked police motorcycles in December last year as part of a package of road safety initiatives.

But the number of fatalities per week had increased since covert speed cameras were introduced, union president Ian Leavers said on Wednesday.

"There is not a shred of evidence that they have had any positive impact in reducing fatalities on our roads," he said.

"I fear that the Bligh Government is becoming addicted to the revenue of speed cameras."

Mr Leavers said many police officers believed covert speed cameras were "like poker machines on wheels".

"Sure they rake in the dollars, however the deterrent effect for speedsters is non-existent," he said.

The Government is due to hand down the 2010/11 State Budget on June 8, which will reveal its revenue forecasts."
  2. Greed $cameras.
  3. Interestingly, deaths and serious injuries are waaaay down in WA too, this year. Not sure why. I don't see any different enforcement tactics. If anything I'm seening fewer cameras and cops on the road these days.

I put it down to the volatility inherent in what are, in the greater scheme of things, very small numbers.
  4. In other news today, "The Pope is discovered to be a Catholic!", and "The Universe is Big!"
  5. Sir, there's something very important that we need to discuss.

It's recently been discovered that cheeseburgers are delicious.