Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Country refueling, bike becomes wasp magnet!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by GunSlingerAU, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Hey guys

Last time I did a multi-day road trip in the country during the summer, my Victory Hammer cruiser turned into a giant wasp magnet. Every time we stopped to refuel, which is often when this thing does 250km to a tank, my bike would be instantly swarmed by wasps. I almost dropped it when one landed on my hand and I let go of the clutch. I had another one wedge itself into my helmet air vent, and almost got inside. Not fun, as I hate those stinging little buggers.

I'm about to do another 5 day ride up to Adelaide, and wondered if you guys had any tips on getting rid of these suckers? Apparently they're attracted to all the dead bugs that get plastered onto the bike - is there any kind of insect repellent that is safe to put on the bike?

2. Don't spray anything on parts of the bike that get hot, good way to gas yourself...
    Any chance there's been something spilled on the bike that smells sweet to them? Or in your gear?
    Only time I've had a wasp bother me was when one went searching for the spiders living in my DR650, buzzed off after 10 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Last summer was particularly bad for wasps but I've hardly seen any this summer (yet).
    You'll have to perfect the quick dismount and escape.

Pull up in a screaming hurry outside the servo, or off to a side before you enter the line for the pumps.
    Head straight for the paper towel and water to wet your visor (and cover any bug guts).
    Place it back with the bike with the front covered in wet paper. This stops the wasps trying to lick it clean, and softens the residue so it wipes off easily. Go and have a drink while the wasps clean the front of the bike for you.
    It should only take a few minutes for them to dissapate. Then roll in and fill up.

• Like Like x 2
  4. so
    if I smear dead bugs on the end of my nob
    the wasps will lick it clean?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. why not it will one prick to another :wacky::wacky:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. I think you should try it Greg.
    You need plenty of wer bug guts though. They won't come if it's just dry bits.

7. You need to learn to swerve to avoid hitting bugs.

It might not be your fault, you might just need a bike that can turn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The plague of wasps last year hasn't happened this year (atleast I haven't seen any)

But why worry about them? They are only social waps. I was picking them up and chucking them outside....

9. They are attracted to yellow as well as bug guts, Yellow on your helmet or riding gear?

10. #10 Greydog, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Oh dear.... streetmasterstreetmaster is gonna have a fun summer.... :)
    (No, that's not Streety on the bike...lol)

image.

11. Yup!

Wearing yellow leathers, sitting at an outside table trying to eat scrambled eggs in Cooma in summer, I found out just how many wasps lived in Cooma and surrounding district. :-(

12. heh, thanks for the tips guys - I'll pay particular attention to avoiding any incoming bugs on the road. The bike I took last summer was red and white, which might have been part of the issue - my new baby is all black. Fingers crossed!

13. I had a black baby once