Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Countersteering prob

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kraven, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Hi everyone :) ,

I've been riding for about 2 months now and recently i have noticed that when i countersteer into a corner i sometimes pull on the handlebar to make it easier to turn in (EG: To turn right i push on the right handlebar and pull on the left handlebar), i did this mostly when countersteering out of a corner a few weeks ago but now i'm doing it going into corners too, will this riding style cause problems further down the track for me or is this nothing to worry about?

I'm just trying to eliminate any bad habits while i'm still learning rather than dealing with them later on.

2. The only problem I can see with that method is that you may not be relaxing your arms as you should, and it will have a negative effect on throttle control (and comfort). Just make sure your elbows are bent and your shoulders are relaxed all the time. It's always worthwhile giving this a conscious check while you're riding.
  3. Probably a good idea to steer mainly with the *inside* hand and leave the other as loose as you can.

It doesn't hurt to give the other hand a quick yank to help with the initial countersteering action, but once you're into the turn, using only the inside hand for bar control leaves the 'bars more freedom to deal with surface problems etc.
  4. Pushing with the inside hand helps to establish a lean(body) into the corner. This gives you better turn in and will make the bike feel lighter - and I find it helps to get the ol' head turned in the right direction.

Not a problem, but something you will want to change as your skill levels improve.
  5. Have you previously ridden dirt bikes? What you are doing is not wrong at all, it's just that you are conciously doing it, when in anything but '10 tenths' riding, it should be subconcious. As has already been said, just relax a little and you should be fine. A lot of people who have ridden dirt bikes before they ride road bikes, 'arm steer', because it is a concious thing to do on the dirt, thats why I asked the question.
  6. Nah i've never ridden dirtbikes before, I think i'm doing what loz is saying (Using both hands to get it into the lean and then just using the inside hand for control.)
    I'll take your advice and try to relax a bit more and make sure i'm turning my head to look through the corner and hopefully that will make things easier.

7. The act of pushing right to go right by definition is pulling left to go right..
    In other words what you are doing is fine. There is nothing in your post that says you are leaning incorrectly with your bike, so the push or pull effect is fine as long as they are used to compliment each other as opposed to cancelling each other out.
    The only problem I have is that if you are male it appears that you are multi-tasking, I find that rather disturbing that you are exhibiting traits that could make all us blokes look bad. :wink:

cheers Michael