Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Countersteering On Sports Bikes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Ninja03, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Eyy GUys

Got my P's 2 Sundays Ago at Armstrongs in Thomastown. Was a great day was really good to refresh some old skills i had forgotten about from when i got my L'S. Anyway now the countdown is on for the zx6r.

When i got home i jumped on my Hyosung GT250R and went for a burn. On the ride i tried to practice some countersteering which we had practiced that day but couldnt do it on my hyosung. This could be a really dumb question but is it possible to countersteer on sports bikes? It felt alot harder on my bike than on the bikes we had at armstrongs. Everytime i go to push my handle bars on the sports bike a wobble and feel like im about to come off? Any Tips?

Thanks Guys

2. Press harder.

3. I got no problem moovin the hadle bars i can move them easy its just when i do the bike starts to wobble compared to the less sporty bikes they have at armstrongs and feels like im gonna fall off and break my head

4. You aren't meant to wobble the bar, you are meant to press on it.

If it truly is doing as you describe and you aren't being a numpty then I would be having the bike trailored in to have its front wheel/steering re-attached.

Sporty bikes require less counter-steer force input and typically change directions much faster.

How fast are you going when you are doing this by the way?

5. A common problem is that you may be placing a lot of pressure on both the bars through your wrists. This stiffens up your posture and has the effect of decreasing your inputs to bars.
    Solution. You need to use your thighs to clamp on the tank and take pressure of the wrists. 99% of the time this will give you instant and positive feedback on counter steering inputs on a sports bike.

6. sitting on about 50.... guess it mighta just felt wierd coz at armstongs we were doin countersteering at 20 so i guess when i jumped on my bike it all happened quicker and shocked me. They told us at armstongs your suppose to turn your head in the direction you wanna go press the handle bars in the direction you dont wanna go then the bike corrects its self yeh?

7. Yup. What he said. I'd be giving this a go first of all.

8. you have to relax, then look, push and lean left/right.
    you dont even have to lean much. just shifting your weight in the seat can count as a lean.

to go left, you have to push the left handlebar. PUSH, NOT TURN left. its different

9. have you arms low aswell. dont be pushing down on the bars, be pushing forward if it makes sense

10. +1.
    Sounds like you are holding onto them too tight and your rigid arms are whats causing it. Try steering just using your fingertips and you will see you dont need to grip so hard.

11. First of all, be more specific on "counter steering". People think of counter steering as pushing against the handlebar to go around corners. I get the feeling that is not your intent but is what the replies in this thread have been aimed at. However, it sounds like you are talking about the low speed swerve which if your test is like the nsw system would be done at roughly 20 km/h or so.

1st problem: You're likely going to fast so the swerve just becomes the wobble. Try doing at about 20 km/h, same speed as you practised. I doubt you were going any faster than that especially if you were in an enclosed area.

2nd problem: By your language it also sounds like you didnt do the test on your hyo. What did you do it on? I'm expecting cb250 or yammy scorpion or something. There are two issues here. One is handlebar shape and placement and the other is weight. Handlebar placement is the much more major of the two, and the main issue here will be the width of the bars and the height of the bars. I'm expecting the bike you did it on to have reasonably high and wide bars which allow for good leverage and makes stearing really easy. On the hyo, you are more likely pressing down on the bars instead of pushing into them, and they are much closer together making the force required for both counter steering and swerving much greater and harder to do in comparison. As for the weight, the hyo 250 is a heavy bastard for a 250. Honestly dont know how they could get it so heavy without adding a big lump of lead. The extra mass will give the bike more inertia making it harder to swerve - when compared to the effect of handlebar placement the effect of the extra inertia will be rather minor though.

3rd problem: You might be trying to do it to quickly (note: rushing your movements, not riding to fast - already covered that) if you are not laying out your practise course. The course guidelines should be online - the NSW ones are, you can copy them. Don't rush it, and firmly push each bar as you do it. Do the course slowly at first and then progressively build up speed. Once the bike has changed direction, push the other bar. You can exaggerate this on the road by swerving in your lane at speed and quickly as possible, not so quickly that the bike just wobbles, but quick enough to know your giving the bars a good hard shove in each direction. The tyres should go out to close to the edges of the lane.

Lastly, robsalvv did a few very comprehensive guides to cornering. In one of them he explains counter steering and why beginners find it so difficult to understand because of what they were taught. Find it, Read it.

12. #13 Deadsy, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  13. Did you check the original post date?

14. no, but i checked the two above mine.

15. deleted. eurgh!

16. How were you riding before without counter steering!?!?! Make sure you are slowly rolling on the throttle through the corner to keep the bike as settled as possible and push the bar away from you, you will turn in that direction. look it up on youtube there are some good vids on there that explain it well. If you cant do it after that your bike is broken.....

17. steer using the palm of your hand, don't 'turn' the bars, PUSH them.

push right, go right. push left, go left as the saying goes. It works at all speeds but below 20 ish it makes the bike fairly unstable since you don't have as much gyroscopic effect keeping the bike up.

I've found trying to turn the bars is what causes the wobbles or tankslappers. Very scary :|