Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Countersteering - I think I have got it....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Jem, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Like most new riders I have been very confussed about this whole countersteering business.....

Yesterday afternoon I stumbled across this video -

http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/334.html

It made sense to me; or at least gave me a better idea: so last night on the way home I gave it a go. What a difference it made to how I went around courners, especially turns from one road to another.

Anyway just thought I would post it up; hope you get some value from it to.

Cheers Jeremy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Good job mate. Sometimes people get so deep into the details of what is happening that it confuses others as to how simple it really is. Keep it going.

3. Countersteering doesn't need to be confusing. Push left go left, push right go right.

Stop trying to understand the physics of it, just practise!

4. Jem, what confusion did the video clear up about countersteering?

5. Hi Rob,

guess I had seen so much about it I just over thought it.... That said while a lot of people say push left go left etc there are also a number who say push down etc etc, and like most threads it goes on and on and us new riders ( Well at least me ) get so involved in thinking about it and reading stuff that we do not understand as yet.

What I liked about this it gave 3 very clear things to do push, lean and anchor.

But the most valuable thing to me was for the first time I saw a very clear push the right bar forwards to go right. it was the word forward that cleared it up for me.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Jeremy

6. No probs.

Just curious. Both the cornering 101 and (in more detail) 102, talk about a forward push. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't saying anything confusing.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

No stress. Happy riding mate. Enjoy the powersteering you're now more likely to experience. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. As an aside, one of the first things I learned the hard way as a newbie was that if you are finding the bike requires a lot more pressure to 'hold' into the corners (ie, you have to push really hard on the left handlebar to keep it tipped in) then it's a sign your tyres are either really badly worn or they are underinflated.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Thanks Rob,

Think that was it I just needed to see it.

Cheers

Wasn't cornering 101 or 102 it was the other stuff you read. Over thought it I guess should have gone back to your posts.

9. Thanks Chrome,

Very useful piece of advice.

Cheers Jeremy

10. I have heard even instructors use this phrasing, and it is very misleading.

You always want to be pushing in a way which is on the same rotational plane as the handlebars. When you push up or down in relation to the handlebars plane, you waste energy and your steering becomes less effective.

This becomes more crucial when on a heavier bike, or going at higher speeds and you find yourself needing to make corrections in a corner....or find yourself running wide.

Freezing up on the controls is a possibility, as is not being firm and effective enough on the controls are all possibilities should you find yourself in a potential crash situation.

Sports bikes especially require you to hunch over to get your forearms into a good position.

• Like Like x 3
  11. There's not much to get! If you've taken a corner at anything above walking pace on a motorcycle you've got it

12. Posts like this are good for some of us older riders as well.

Way back when I got licence you were on your own to learn it all and the licence test was a ride around the block. Providing you indicated, used brake lights and never hit anything you passed.

As the video says, most of us have been counter steering without realising it.

I first heard of the term in 2007 and mentioned this to a work mate. He wasn't impressed, all negative, not the way to steer a bike etc. His solution was pushing down on the foot pegs. Not sure what bike he used to have but I tried that on my bike just once and you go nowhere. Well, not where you want to go anyway, so I dismissed his advice forthwith.

13. I took my son out for a ride last weekend, he took the wifes 250. I talked to him about countersteering about half way through the ride. He thought I was nuts at first. Later he realised exactly what I was talking about. But he did say that he thought he was "lifting the left bar to lean the bike over". I suggested he try it without lifting, rather just pushing/pulling and when he did he found cornering easier and more controllable.

14. I have had this advice from riders who have gone and done laps around Phillip island.

Going around Philip island clearly doesnt mean jack by itself.

15. yep anyone with a few hundred dollars can go around phillip island. doesnt make them some sort of riding god either.

16. In addition to this, if you know your tyres are in decent condition, it's much more likely to be that while you're pushing on the (left) handlebar to turn (left), you will also be subconciously pushing on the right handlebar almost just as hard, making it nearly impossible to turn properly. If you find yourself doing this, slow down first and then mentally (and physcially) reduce your grip on the other handlebar to a light barely touching.

This will most commonly occur when you are not in a good body position for the turn, but can also happen just as a SR.

17.  Top
  18. Skip the voodoo physics. just try it and when you see that it works the light bulb will come on.

Then focus on it and practice until it becomes second nature and no focus is necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Eh!? I guess your tyres could be stupidly warn, but that would be obvious before you got on the bike.

What it does tell you is to RELAX your outside arm. You are too tense inthe arms/shoulders.

Oops! Just noted Lilley already explained this.

20. I got my motorcycle license in 1968. It wasn't until the early 1980s that I first heard the term counter-steer. The only thing that altered was knowing that the thing I was routinely doing to make the bike change direction had a name.

+1 on staying loose. What was it you were saying the other day, raven: just ride the motorcycle?