Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Counter steering

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by noodie, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hi all, I'm still learning new skills everyday but in the last few days have learned the joys of countersteering. Wow, it's amazing how easy it is to swerve away from potential danger. Only had my licence for a couple of weeks. I live in rural N.T so our licencing is pretty slack. Don't even have to do a stay upright course or the like, just pay $16 for the learners and you've got it. Then within 3 months go for a practical test at the town council, pay $32 and you get your P's. It just seems too easy for an unskilled rider to unleash themselves on the roads. Any opinions on this? :?: :?:

2. They make it much harder in NSW :(
  3. Q ride here in brisbane is too easy. I have been riding on and off most of my life and on the road since i was 15 :oops: i thought what we were doing was warm ups then i found out i had already passed 3/4 of the test i ( i did just the evaluation, just the single day deal)
  4. Unskilled riders and unskilled drivers. It's very common around Australia, but that is the most extream I have heard.
  5. And in the only place in Australia that has speed limitless roads to boot!

Enjoy the freedom while you got it!
  6. Riders who know about countersteering often believe that all riders know about it.

There are guys who have been riding for years and don't know how to conciously do it. Keyword in the last sentence is "conciously".
    Those are usually the guys you hear about who go off the road from a gust of wind....etc.
  7. I did my licensing in the NT, but went the METAL method which does give you the skills. Its cheap and its good.

You can go your method, but you are in Rural NT. So how deep does your bore water have to travel?

Some roads are without speed limits, but you can always get done for reckless driving and that can beat any speeding fine!
  8. I like counter steering. When I hopped on the bike (after not even riding a pushbike for like 10 years) I didn't know what the hell I was going to do when I came to a corner! lol. But good old memory kicked in and I got around O.K.
    Then after about a month of riding, I started thinking about how I got the bike to go around corners, and that screwed me right up! I was coming into corners thinking about leaning, counteretering etc, so I just sort of stopped thinking and took note of what I was doing.
    I found that I would lean for small turns and countersteer for larger turns or turns needing more rapid turn in. I also found that I would countersteer if any of teh lines got too close in a hurry, and I usually countersteer out of a corner or use throttle as well.
    I just do what I have to do for the moment, and it's all pretty smooth.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. I've been riding pushies my entire life, and find that the idea of countersteering is just confusing. I understand how it works, and I also understand that what I do to make a bike turn intuitively is exactly the same as countersteering just I'm not having to make a conscious effort to do it. In my opinion, conscious countersteering is a beginner technique to help people learn to put in more strength and make the bike turn.

You shouldn't have to think about it.
  10. Push right...go right, push left...go left.
    words from my instructor verbatim.
    Counter steering in a nutshell. :)
  11. To learn counter steering I suggest you find a nice twisty peice of road and invest lots of time on the bike riding...practice is the best way to learn. Start off very slow and concentrate on your technique and slowely increase the speed (within the law of course) building on what you have learnt before.
  12. By consciously using counter-steering I can flip my bike back and forth so quickly that I can touch down the foot pegs.....on both sides.....on a straight road. I'd like to see a beginner try that :roll: .

The point I'm making is that if you are fully aware of your counter-steering. Then your handling of your bike improves....a lot. And superior agility is hardly something I'd consider to be a "beginners technique". Sorry to disagree.
  13. I understand what you mean.

I like to think of 'countersteering' as a way of explaining a good technique. Saying ' use countersteering' makes more sense to someone that's starting out than telling them to 'just turn harder' which is all 'countersteering' actually is.

Countersteering is a good way of explaining good technique. As such, I feel it's something for beginners to use.
  14. Understood. Well put.
  15. Oi - Tailus and Mordeth - cut it out. There's a long standing tradition here that countersteering threads should turn into nasty slanging matches. Sexual preference must be questioned, genitalia derided and doubt cast on parentage.

Keep resolving arguments within 3 posts and there'll be a warning headed your way.

You're on notice.
  16. I'd like to take this time to tell you how much I love you, Chairman.

*Mordeth gives Chairman a big hug*
  17. I consciously countersteer all the time, there's a big sweeping hill I go up every night at 100kmh and it gets quite windy at the top. I use conscious contersteering to hold my line up the hill.
    But yeah, once you're familiar with the technique you dont often think about it on the road.

Another good technique to use for flicking the bike side to side is 'pivot-steering', if you're familiar with Keith Code's Twist of the wrist books...
    For turning left, push on the left 'bar (as per countersteering) and weight the right (outside) peg.
    For turning right, push on the right 'bar and weight the left peg.

You'd be amazed at how fast you can make the bike change direction, and it gives you something to pivot your weight off if you hang off your bike while cornering