Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

count the squids

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by DuHAST, Dec 27, 2005.

1. after a stinkin hot day of riding today, tonite im going to count all the SQUIDS i see riding around the urban area, even i am only going to wear a short sleeved shirt.

2. I've given up counting squids in Sydney, its too time consuming :roll:

it would be much easier & quicker to count the bikers wearing proper gear...
  3. I hate to admit it but on Christmas eve I became a sqiud for a day. It was so hot and I had to go get a last minute present, so I went in shorts and t shirt. I passed a couple of riders in full gear and felt so very vulnerable!
    PS It did feel good, but not something I'd recommend for anyone who likes skin and bones!
  4. done the same thing on the 42 degree day we had just before xmas - took it pretty easy but came across another problem - sunburn!! damn backs of my legs, neck and arms are red raw from it, next time I think I will endure the sweating in favour of no sunburn!
  5. i've been known to squid when it's ~really~ hot but always in draggins and gloves - never shorts.
  6. hehe and just how comfortable is your gear gonna be rubbing up against that? :p

I've had skin cancer (still have issues) and I'll take sweating any day
  7. i saw so many today everyone just loves the wind hitting them on the arms and legs i guess. i went for a ride in shorts but still with gloves and jacket felt good
    this is probably a good time to ask, can someone tell me why its called squidding?
  8. Hey Duhast that link describes your bike :shock: :p :p :p

"Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears"

Cheers :cool:
  9. The link in the first post tells you what squid is.
    basicly just someone who rides without proper gear.
  10. Who was asking :?:

Cheers :cool:
  12. Halifax.
  13. Hey DuHAST, I don't think you have to wait for night, I counted at least 1/2 doz squids today on Burwood Highway alone. :shock: :?

:grin: :grin:
  14. :oops: I found my self squiding many times in the lead up to christmas with the heat here in Queensland. Decieded to insure my flesh by buying a dririder airflow jacket. It feels like I am almost not wearing a jacket and would recommend it to all squiders.
    AN EX-SQUIDER :grin:
  15. Mesh jackets don't work. Don't kid yourself, get something real.
  16. wrong - around town they're fine
  17. I saw the opposite (in a way) last week I think it was. It was 6.30am and I saw a guyriding an R6 in shorts. On that morning it was 11 degrees thou. I was thinking it would be VERY cold, let alone the protection factor.

18. You should have seen them all down at Sorrento and Portsea.. :? I rode with Boogieman and Grrrl down to Sorrento for the ferry today, and the squids were everywhere. :roll:

One decided to pop a mono while splitting on the white line (in between incoming and outgoing traffic) in shorts, tshirt, and thongs. Nearly dropped it when he put the front wheel back down too.. :shock:

I think I'll just sweat in the leather, and stay out of the traffic when it's hot.. :wink:
  19. i counted one bike copper the other day, not wearing a jacket just short sleeve uniform shirt. i think he was wearing everything else though

guess its getting too hot for the pigs aswell :)
  20. It felt good riding around in shorts and a tshirt today...nice breeze :)