Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Councils, Unions and Associations - who does what?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by MelbourneMick, May 6, 2012.

1. Australian Motorcycle Council.
    Motorcycling Australia
    Victorian Motorcycle Council
    United Motorcycle Council
    Motorcycle Riders Association

Just to name a few as there are loads of these bodies in various forms in various States.
    I'm sure confused about what they are all about and what they represent.

Are any of these worth supporting ?
    Any worth steering clear of ?
    Any just paper tigers?
    Any actually make a positive difference ?
  2. The Australian Motorcycle Council is the peak Australian Motorcycle lobbying group.

Motorcycling Australia is the body that organises and enforces rules for motorcycle competition within Australia. They also have a Riders division for road users. Motorcycling Australia is a member of the Australian Motorcycle Council.

The Victorian Motorcycle Council is a State based member of the Australian Motorcycle Council. Still in the process of being setup but they have been doing good work and will soon run a group meeting to explain themselves and their goals.

The United Motorcycle Council is not operating in Victoria I believe but have chapters in each of the other states. I am not sure of their status they seem to have many of the same goals in protecting Bikers rights. They have a lot more Patch Colour club members. Someone else may be able to give you more information on them.

Motorcycle Riders Association was the peak body in Victoria and have done many good things in their time. Footpath parking is one major win they have had. They voted recently to leave motorcycle advocacy and become a purely social club. They believe that the VMC will take over the role of motorcycle advocacy within Victoria.

I would say in Victoria the VMC is worth supporting but they do not as yet have individual membership. Membership is generally by a club. Ulysses, BMW club etc are members. In the interests of full disclosure I am currently doing volunteer work for the VMC.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers mate.
    There are a million outdated links and pages on google searches and this has made things a bit clearer.
  4. Just to expand a bit...

5. Thanks Tony, I was a bit unsure of MA's status within the AMC, I had in the back of my mind that they were a member. Thanks for the clarification, I checked their web site but they don't list member groups as far as I can see.
  6. Top job Tony....cheers