Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Could all accidents be your fault?

Discussion in 'Video Logging' at netrider.net.au started by Realist Rider, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Following all the conversations across the community, I vlogged about this topic.

Could you be inadvertently contributing to incidents against your safety?

** Dangerous video removed by Admin **

• Like Like x 1
  2. did i watch that?

3. Thanks for subscribing mate, it really shows that you can turn a hater into a fan.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. maybe not contributing but certain actions may make you less likely to be involved in an accident not caused by you

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. way to go
    do a safety vid
    while riding like a dick

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Thanks for posting this. Very interesting.
    I watched the whole vid. You're correct in saying that MOST accidents are avoidable and we in some way contribute to them, even if it's simply by being there, at the time. Insurance companies seem to agree.

Here's the criticism. You knew it was coming, no?
    You've made some excellent points about road craft in general, but your method of filtering made me nervous.
    Some of it looked like it was above 30km/h and passing a car on a single lane road, on the curb side is not legal in Vic, unless the car is turning.(@1.30min) and (@2.30min)

The point is this: saying the right thing while doing the wrong thing sends a mixed message to the viewer.
    Looking forward to other's opinions.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. careful mate
    you may get a ban

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. We need lanes that wide in Sydney...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Depends upon whether or not your calling is all out, because that is what you do....

I won't contribute to your coffers by watching any of your videos ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Most of my filtering is done between 30-40kph, it is just where the R1 idle rolls in second gear. 1.30/2.30 cars should be forming 2 lanes but typically don't.

At the end of the day, I am happy to risk a fine to filter along because sitting in traffic waiting for a rear ender is not ideal and is risk mitigation. Adhering to the law and being safe aren't mutually exclusive - I lane filtered long before it became legal in QLD and that didn't make it any less safe.

Cheers for your thoughts, I specifically didn't mention legality nor tort law because it isn't always relevant to your personal safety.

:p

Cheer up emo kid.

11. The problem with risk assessments is potentially they can go forever.The concept needs a rethink, it bores me to death,literally.Or it will if I spend much more time on them

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hey, Realist RiderRealist Rider, I watched your vid, and I have to agree with a previous comment - you ride like a dick!
    What qualifies you to give advice, anyway? Credentials?
    Or is it just opinion? And you know what they say about opinions, don't you?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. You're dreaming.

For all the others here, have you not woken up to the tactic?

Post monetised video that he knows will bring reaction (good or bad) in the hope everyone watches it, and this he gets more page views and more views = more cash.

Best thing to do?? Don't watch them ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Some good roadcraft points in there and I failed to spot anything in the way of dickish riding. I won't comment on what might or might not have been legal but, given the distortions inherent in helmet cam footage there wasn't anything there that made me wince, although I don't really like filtering on the far left myself. But then, I'm both a Pom and ancient which gives a different perspective on such matters from the average NR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sorry, but it is hard to take safety advice from someone riding like that. I couldn't actually watch the whole clip and skipped through half of it.
    Did you actually do a wheelie in that clip (2:08) or did your body just move down towards the windshield when you accelerated?
    Some of those popup images you stick in don't seem right either... did you circle the passenger when trying to indicate someone in drivers seat, I'm not sure because it was a terrible image to use anyway? And copyrighted stock images??

I would be interested to see a vlog on lane filtering in vic or 2 lines of traffic in single lane... things you obviously have experience with. But I suggest trying to keep in a tone of opinion/discussion as it more suits your style.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FractalzFractalz will be here momentarily - she has an interesting site linked in her sig which is dedicated to the concept that all accidents are avoidable - a notion I'm more than sympathetic with - except that it does put all the onus on the rider, a notion that I accept but is a dangerous one for road safety countermeasures.

Alternatively, I subscribe to what's detailed in this old post from the safetiest safety riding guru around: Motorcycle Tips and Techniques "Beating The Odds
    Requires that you behave ABNORMALLY By: James R. Davis"
    Basically, ride your best ride all the time and don't be like everybody else.

17. #17 CraigA, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Well I learnt something.
    Human brains stop doing the shit they should to conserve energy if you are driving a car along the same route every day!
    Interesting topic. I did not know my brain had a desire to conserve energy?
    Are you a physiologist.........or you are full of it and are making that shit up!

Care to provide a peer reviewed source to clear that up?

Also I have to agree with some of the others. Ride how ever you want to off camera, but if you are going to preach safety, lead by example mate.
    Some of your filtering was a little fool hardy, hap hazard and illegal considering the message you were trying to get across.
    Hard to swallow the safety message from a guy who isn't singing from the same song sheet! If you want to be taken seriously take a leaf out of your own book, at least while the camera is rolling. Old heads will think you're a Dick and ignore most of what you are saying if you ride in a manner contrary to your message, but it's the young impressionable ones I'm worried about.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. When I was a lad the old man would always bestow upon me many pearls of wisdom,
    One of which was, always do as I say not as I do .
    Perhaps that applies here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Yeah that's a fathers prerogative, but this bloke's not your dad.

20. Ah yes . Another person who likes to tell people what to do or watch . And yet you respond to the video (whether you watched it or not )If you don't like the videos from him don't click on the thread .

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.