Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cosworth F1 V8

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ChrisBurke, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Hey all,

Noticed this and though it was interesting... Its a vid of a Cosworth V8 on the test bed being run to 20,000 rpm - must have sound on!

Go to: http://www.cosworth.com/ and click on the link for the vid on the front page...

Cheers, Chris

2. Honda at high revs

I remember hearing a record (old vinyl LP for you younger riders) of the Honda 5 cylinder 125cc GP bike of the early sixties, racing at the Isle of Mann. That motor revved to 25,000 and had a seven speed gear box, and it sounded, as a mate of mine described it, like 17 mossies under an egg-cup.
    That's a wild sound!!!
  3. sounds sweet!
  4. Somewhere I have a video that shows that, and it tells how much force is involved when the motor is running at that speed. I think, from memory, it said that there is 4 tons of pressure pushing down on the top of the piston at ignition.

Imagine the forces on the crankshaft and bearings then, when that is happening 8 times (well, at least twice at the same time allowing for differing firing orders)

I think it said that, if the motor were to blow up, the pistons keep moving at that speed until something stops them (like the side of the cylinder) and that they can go up and down over 20 times before they stop moving.

That's why engine blow-ups are so spectacular.