Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Cost of registering

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jalalski, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a 2nd hand bike and I found a really good bike that is a 2012 model with low kms which is being sold by a friend of a deceased person (nothing to do with the bike)

The problem is that they can't find the rego papers and the bike has been out of registration (NSW) for over 3-4 months or so.

Can you please tell me what will be the cost of having it re-registered in NSW?
  2. #2 tony749, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    blue slip inspection $36
    plus stamp duty on the value of the bike

with no rego papers, spend $3 to check the title is clear on PPSR. Don't pay the $30 or whatever ridiculous fee that bikesales etc charge for this
  3. Cheers, Thanks for that.

How would they transfer the ownership of the bike at the time of payment if they don't have rego papers? What do I need to ask from them to prove ownership transfer?
  4. A receipt for payment will do.

The seller could submit a 'Notice of Disposal' online but that's only to cover their arse for fines etc. The notice is not necessary to start a new registration in your name.
  5. Thanks for the valuable information Tony. The seller has the recent PPSR available already.
  6. Are u sure u need a blue slip on such a new bike ?
  7. Best bet is to check with RMS. As for proof of purchase, a receipt or 'bill of sale' will suffice.
  8. How esle would you re-register it if it is out of rego?
  9. #9 CrazyCam, Mar 19, 2014
    The blue slip business is likely to be the least of your problems.

The current "ownership" of the bike would be a bigger worry to me.

Sorry about interruption, a mate needed a hand to get his Vespa out of the back of his car.

If the dead owner, for example, died without having made a will, the ownership of the bike could be a complete bun fight.

If the deceased had made a will, and specifically left the bike to someone, then they'd probably be good to sell it, assuming the will has been sorted out.
  10. Not sure if it is your friend, or the deceased person's friend selling it, but with no rego papers available, just be a little wary. Make sure you get a REVs check, using the Vin/frame number and the last Rego.

Probably all legit, just as the bloke selling his vehicle, who is currently working on an off-shore oil platform.

On another note: I recently purchased a vehicle for my son, from a deceased estate, with 10months rego, I thought it a great deal. turned out that we had to pay the difference between the pensioner discounted rego and normal cost. As we had no concession.

Good luck, I hope you get a good buy.
  11. I'm just wondering if u need a blue slip seeing as the bike is so new that in nsw it doesn't need a pink slip to re register it
  12. pink slips are only for vehicles with current registration or lapsed by no more than 3 months. Any unregistered vehicle or registered interstate vehicle needs a blue slip regardless of age.

As for prior proof of ownership, I would be asking for the original sale receipt on such a young bike without registration papers - you could be happy however with documents from RMS stating who the registered owner is, with additional support from whoever is managing the estate for right to sell.

Alternatively, the appropriate estate probitor can get a registration paper reprint issued (about $25 or similar I think) and you go from there.

btw, it's now called a vehicle identity and safety check instead of a blue slip.
  13. #13 oldcorollas, Mar 19, 2014
    in this case, Blueslip will basically just be a vehicle identification check
  14. OK Guys, I got further information from the friend of the deceased person selling the bike for the deceased person's wife....

The bike currently has NSW number plates but it is out of rego as I previously stated, so using the number plates and VIN, current ownership can be determined.

The bike is registered to the deceased person and current ownership would be with the wife of course and she will be the one signing the purchase receipt confirming payment has been received and putting all details of the bike in writing on the receipt.

The only thing I would need to get is the blue slip to get it re-registered as confirmed in this thread by you guys.

I will also be charged stamp duty on registering the bike to myself but that is standard.

Thanks for your help guys
  15. I would check to see where the whole Estate situation is at. In particular, if Probate has been granted, otherwise this assumption might not be the case, which changes matters somewhat.
  16. I wouldn't worry about the estate matters. If there is a dispute over a will the fight will be about the monetary value of the estate not possession of specific items. It would matter if the bike was a unique collectors item. But a commodity bike, meh, fair value is easily determined; the bike is interchangable for cash as far as the estate is concerned.
  17. If it was me, I would very much "worry about the estate matters". My understanding is, that until Probate has been granted, selling or disposal of assets of the deceased is problematic, as the legal owner (the deceased) cannot give permission. After Probate is granted, the executor has authority to manage the estate.

If Justus chimes in here, I am sure you will get the best answer!

18. I decided to let it go. Too many question marks and too many things to worry about.

It would still be interesting to know the "definite" answer should anyone come across such a purchase in the future.