Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cost of an off...

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by robsalvv, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Just thought I'd share my experience with you all...

March 15th, me and my 9R highsided out of Siberia on a ride day. :(

Damage to me: Broken right wrist, fractured right rib, heavy concussion, strains, sprains and bruises... not happy Jan. Out of pocket medical bills approaching $400.

Damage to bike: Snapped off right peg and brake pedal, damaged master cyclinder, scratched up belly pan and RHS fairing, ground right handle bar, badly scratched can... other minor damage... Thank goodness for the RG-racing crash knobs!! [Bought from AMC website. That $140 saved me possibly thousands more!] Estimated repairs w/o replacing can ~$1500 so far.

Coz it was a track day, the repair costs are my own to cover. :( :( :(

On the positive side of things, the plaster cast came off yesterday and the wrist is looking good YAY!!!! but is waaaay ginger. Time will heal it though.

Just for the record, I cannot wait to get back on the bike!

Stay safe out there.

2. Good to see all has healed rob . Hope the bike and you are up and riding soon .
  3. Thanks Midnight. Me too!
  4. Glad that your wrist is healing Rob and that you've still got a positive attitude.Good on ya for wanting to get back on the bike so soon!
  5. Glad to here you are OK Rob.

Could you not tell the insurence people you did it a couple of days later and claim it on the insurence :shock: :wink: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I know its not right, but hey, friggen insurence companies :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cheers 8)
  6. If it was a racing or competitive day then your insurance wont want to know about it BUT if it's a ride day or similar course then you could put up a very good argument for them to cover the damage.

A recent court case of a car club member who damaged his car in a driver training session showed that they can be beaten at their own game although I remember a driver who crashed his car and caused $50k damage and ended up with $150k in legal costs from both sides when he lost the case and still had a broken car to get fixed.

Also it wouldn't be the first time a car has been pushed out the front gate and into a pole out the front so to speak :-$
  7. Thanks Rob, an interesting post. Glad to hear you are OK and recovering well.
  8. Thanks folks for your comments. Sometimes we only entertain the possible consequences of this pleasurable thing we do as abstract concepts that happen to other people. Well it became all too real for me!

Dazza... I'm not willing to take my bike insurance company on - especially on the shonk. It clearly says in my policy statement that I'm not covered when practicing or attending skills courses - plus, because I was treated for my injuries there's plenty of documentary evidence about what I was doing and where i was doing it... d'oh!

In my philosophy on life anyway, I was doing something that had some risk and it's bitten me. I've made a bed and I'm going to lie in it... and not go any shonky path that drives all of our premiums up.

PLUS, I reaaaally need the GOOD KARMA!!! LOL.

FYI: Start of the 3rd day without plaster and I'd say I have 25%-30% movement back. Onwards!...
  9. Cheers and good luck Rob.