Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cosmetic/Vanity Surgery

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Justus, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Yes I Have

2. No I Havent

0 vote(s)
  3. No, but Have/am Considering It

0 vote(s)
  1. Woman dies after cosmetic surgery

Sue Hewitt
    January 28, 2007 12:00am

THE Coroner will investigate the death of a woman this week, three days after
    she had cosmetic surgery to remove fat.

Lauren James, 26, who was treated at a Caulfield North surgery centre, died on
    Monday after complaining of bleeding and pain over the weekend.

Her family vowed yesterday to join any call for tougher regulation of the vanity
    surgery industry if the coroner found her death was linked to the liposuction.

Dr Norm Olbourne, a spokesman for the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons,
    said regulation was needed in vanity surgery.

Ms James had liposuction on both thighs and her buttocks at the Centre of Cosmetic
    and Plastic Surgery in Caulfield North on January 19 and was discharged that day.

It is understood she complained of bleeding and saw the centre's medical director,
    Dr Mervyn Cass, on Monday morning. She died about 8pm.

Ms James's death has sparked calls for regulation of the vanity surgery industry.

General practitioners can perform cosmetic procedures without surgical qualifications.

Dr Tam Dieu, who performed the operation, is a qualified surgeon. He declined to

The national head of the Australian Medical Association, Dr Mukesh Haikerwal, said
    there were "no standards" in cosmetic surgery.

The Australasian College of Cosmetic Surgery is trying to introduce new rules to
    ensure cosmetic surgery is carried out by doctors with post-graduate training,
    Dr Haikerwal said.

Dr Norm Olbourne, a spokesman for the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons, said
    regulation was needed.

He said doctors should be forced to reveal their qualifications to patients and have
    a "gold standard" or surgical qualification.

Dr Olbourne said doctors performing cosmetic surgery should be members of the Fellow-
    ship of Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.

Dr Cass said staff at the centre were "totally shattered".

"(What happened) is beyond our belief and we, too, are looking for answers."

Full Story Herald Sun Newspaper
  2. Had an hour long cosmetic procedure done about 7-8yrs ago now. However mine
    was funded 100% by Medicare because it was a deemed medical condition
    (brought on by years of drug use).

Have considered lipo as well because I'm too bloody lazy to do it naturally :)
    & one day will get a boob job done on the Mrs :p
  3. interesting.

wot about all the gents who had unwilling cosmetic surgery on their ol' fella? does that count?
  4. Unfortunate for the person to have died after surgery but that doesn't mean they did anything wrong. This article states that someone died after surgery and that there is no regulations/gold standards in surgery.....two completely different topics, which upon reading can be mistaken as the person died because of mistreatment :mad:

Its quite possible that she died from undiagnosed medical problems exacerbated by surgery or a number of other things
  5. :WStupid:
    I'm with you; the story makes good Sunday Morning News, but there is no reason to assume a causal link between the surgery and the lady's death, as sad as it undoubtedly is..... for all sorts of reasons, people die..
  6. Well Please explain what you have done to your nazi willy then Joel & we'll tell you if it counts. :LOL:

Hence why the Coronor is investigating dude. :wink:
  7. I think it's a little worrying that any GP can do cosmetic procedures, I'm surprised that hadn't been changed a long time ago.
  8. or loss of blood, or maybe they sucked out her bum tubes too! :eek:
  9. There used to be a time when GPs could obtain a diploma from the RACS. This was primarily introduced for rural GPs, but now they don't offer the course because the mentality of the college is "a full surgeon or not at all."

By the way, cosmetic medicine is fine for GPs to undertake. This includes botox and glycolic peels.
  10. Closest thing I've had to cosmetic surgery was after I lost the tip of my right-hand ring-finger in an accident when I was 6yo.

I was taken to see a plastic surgeon for the work, in order to make sure the finger healed without lacking function/looking mangled/& so the nail would grow properly without discomfort.

That was after an accident though, & I pretty much support plastic surgery in those instances to make a person as close to their original self as possible [ie. burns victims etc.].

Although I wouldn't say I agree in principle with vanity/cosmetic surgery in most instances, I also believe people's money is their own, and if they genuinely aren't happy with their body OR want to change something because they lack confidence etc, then I respect their decision to do so.

A friend of mine's parents years ago paid for him to have his ears pinned back because they stuck out and he got teased at school. He didn't ask for the surgery - they offered... and he accepted because he knew it would make his life easier.

My 2c.

PS Breast reductions are wrong... :p
  11. nah i've had plastic surgery but not cosmetic.

i knew there was a reason me and you agree sometimes :LOL:

my mrs is considering... she doesn't like her post baby boobs and she's only 20 so she'll get plenty of use out of them yet! them things were great when she was preggaz!!! :p

not always

12. [​IMG] Flex!

Mine is having baby No 5 in the next 8wks so that'll be the last & maybe in a coupla years
    I'll book her in. I've seen alot worse on girls much younger & I reckon their still up ta scratch.
    Shes the one who wants the make-over.

Should be able to cough up $10k by then [​IMG]
  13. had botox a few times.. im only 19 so i dont need it.. just helps me look more awake so to speak
  14. Ive always been a bit wary of cosmetic surgery, not so much due to medical risk but more due to the mental wellbeing of the patient. I have had at least 6 close friends who have had work done in the last 10 years. Every single one of them had marriage/self esteem issues. After the surgery, nothing has changed. Yeah they look great ( well apart from the massive scars from one full body lift - not everyone heals the same) but its still whats between the ears thats causing issues. Marriages still not good, still unsettled and searching for that elusive something. If they spent more time working on the inside maybe the outside wouldnt be that much of an obstacle. I know thats such a broad statement and many may disagree but its just my personal observation. This society spends way too much time obsessing on looks.
    My 2 cents for a Sunday morning. There, you dont need to go to church now :)

15. Amen to that. ;)
  16. good one curtain!

it's sad that our society places too much focus on looks.

when we meet a person we form an option that is 70% based on appearance alone. [i never have but that's the number].

70% based on opinion says we are pretty stupid. there are so many other factors that are more important yet we are told by the media and tv commercials that looks are the key to sucess.

sucess in my opinion, is self esteem.