Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Corrosion Protection? I live near the beach

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by dims, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Hey guys,
    I live in frankston near the beach. Now we tend to get a bit of extra corrosion, my first bike the screws would rust, the aluminium would get that white furry stuff on it.

The bike was parked under cover, but not in an enclosed area, so it might of copped a tiny bit of spray here n there from the rain.

Now, i'm buying a new bike VERY soon and i really don't want anything to happen to it in the slightest, especialyl areas where i can't get my hands into all the time to clean. how can i prevent this against corrosion?

I was thinking of maybe getting a bike cover, but putting a zip on the bottom of it and mabe some newspapers or something. so in a way its like my bike is in one massive zip up bag and the newspapers to absorb some moisture or something. what would u guys recommend?

2. Stock up on cheap cans of water dispersant from somewhere like Supercheap (plain label CRC/WD40) and regularly spray all the metal components of the bike with the stuff. It'll leave a thin oily layer on the metal which'll keep the salt and moisture from eating your bike.