Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Correctly fitting knuckle protectors?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Archer, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Hey Guys,

I've recently bought gloves with knuckle protectors and thought they were a good fit until I wore them a little longer and noticed that while 3 knuckles are covered, either the first or last knuckle will hang half/all the way past the protector..
    My bet is that if I were to hit the ground with those as a primary contact point I'd end up with pretty mangled knuckles.

What I'd like to know is if there are wider knuckle protectors out there?
    With brands varying in other fitments, I was wondering if these are something that would vary as well, or is it essentially 'one mould fits all' type thing?

Cheers,

2. Don't worry about it, gloves are at best for abrasion protection only.

If you have a good stack the little bones in your hands are very fragile, thumb fractures (Bennett fracture) are the most common in motorcycle crashes, where the bike comes to a sudden stop and your thumbs snap because they are hooked under the grips.

if your hands make good contact with something hard like the road the knuckle armour might spread the impact across your whole hand... but the bones in your hand are fragile, again typical of motorcycle crashes are die-punch fractures from putting your hands out in front of you instinctively to protect yourself.

I had a get off a few years ago with both die-punch and a bennett fracture, the gloves looked fine in fact i didn't replace them and just kept wearing hem.

...and yes you are right it is one size fits all, glove manufacturers do not make different armour sizes for the various size gloves. If it really concerns you I guess you could shop around and try on as many gloves as you can find to see if you stumble on one that is a better fit and provides you with some comfort.

3. Well fluff..

I'm a guitarist and would like to keep them safe, Also use them for work so that's two reasons, but if they're probably going to cop it in the even of an off with or without, I might just go for padded, I'd rather be comfortable for hours on end then be irritated by the edge of the protector sitting/pressing on one of the knuckles.

That said, does the armour give a significant amount of protection over a well padded non-armour pair?

4. The answer you seek is in look at more pairs. Like helmets suit different heads gloves suit different hands. I think I looked about 20 pairs till I found RS Tachi as a brand with good carbon knuckle protection that suited my hands. I have 3 pairs for different conditions now and they are all super comfortable and if you will pardon the expression - fit me like a glove.

Cheers Jeremy

5. You could fall a thousand different ways and break your hands or not a thousand different ways.

this is my bennett fracture from a few years back
    Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 3.30.11 PM.

And this is my little finger die-punch fracture, blink and you will miss it, in fact miss it is exactly what the doctors did until my bitching and moaning caused them to do a CT, in the end it need plastic surgery to fix, screws and the doctors equivalent to bondo. the thumb just got wired back on.

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 3.28.39 PM.

neither work to well any more the little finger is notchy and painful at times (arthritis) and it wouldn't be playing any chords anytime soon, the thumb never set properly and doesn't have the same range of movement and again arthritis.

these were with quality top shelf armoured gloves.

Your best bet is try to land on your face rather than your hands ;) I did this when i was hit head on and didn't have enough time to put my hands out in front of me no hand fractures at all just most the other bones in my body.

Next best option is to just not get off while the bike is moving in the first place.