Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Correcting and/or braking in a corner

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by xzibit, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Any tips or is it even possible to correct your speed half way through a corner before you end up on the opposite lane?

2. Tip 1. lean harder

Tip 2. lean harder

Tip 3. lean harder

If these don't work, lean harder.

3. It is possible if you aren't riding at 10/10ths.

The slower you are going relative to the maximum speed the corner can be taken at the more correction is possible.

At the other end of the limit if the tyres are right on the limit of traction then any extra steering input will result in a loss of traction (note not a loss of control a loss of traction or a slide).

A slide may result in a loss of control if you don't know what you are doing though (or even if you do sometimes :)

4. If you do find yourself coming in too "hot" back of slightly on the throttle,
    and countersteer through the corner

ie: if your going left;
    'push on the left bar' which will tip you harder into the corner . BUT if you misjudged the corner dramaticly !! slight use of the BACK brakes ONLY will wash of some of that speed.

BUT FFS dont use any FRONT brake, that will stand the bike up straighter and you WILL end up on the wrong side of the road regardless :?

My tip : if your unsure of the road, better too take it slower the 1st time so you dont get any surprises :twisted:

5. A lot depends on the geometry & setup of your bike. On my 750 I can brake right up to the apex of the corner, nearly on the pegs, even at about 9.5/10ths, without it wanting to run wide. My 400 however is a totally different kettle of fish. It wants to stand up & run wide if I even so much about think about touching the brakes. And they are both set up pretty much the same as far as rear preload/ride height etc. Best to experiment on some nice open corners that you can see right through. Don't "hit" the brakes once you're leaned over. Trail them into the corner & try modulating the braking pressure as you head for the apex. Thats about all you can do. Experiment.

6. First tip - always better to enter a corner too slow than too fast. Prevention is better than cure.

Okay, ways to slow the bike down. Most importantly never close the throttle unless you're going WAY too fast, in which case stand the bike up and get on the anchors before you run out of road, and then tip the bike back in if you have enough room. This is the absolute least desirable scenario and is only to be used as a last minute resort if you have seriously misjudged the corner entry speed.

Almost exclusively the safest thing you can possibly do is to is to keep the throttle slightly pushing the bike through the corner and push the bike over harder. Chopping the throttle when cranked over hard can induce the front wheel to slide out as the bike's weight will dive forwards, which is the last thing you want. If the front doesn't wash out causing a low-side, it'll push the bike wider in the corner making the bike go exactly where you don't want it to, into the opposite lane or off the edge of the road.

The tyres themselves when cranked over hard will be providing quite a lot of braking power acting on the bike all on their own, without you even touching the brakes. The further tyres lean, the more they are twisting and shearing against the road surface creating a greater braking effect on the bike and slowing it down. This can be an extremely effective way to correct corner speed without upsetting the bike's suspension.

Generally though, unless you're being truly silly, the bike will easily make the corner if you just push it over harder, even if you think it won't. Of course the bike will run a little wide initially but as the tyres slow the bike down and providing you're not upsetting the bike's suspension by suddenly grabbing a handful of brake or chopping the throttle, the bike will turn more and more tightly and you will likely make the corner safely with nothing more dramatic than a sore sphincter.

A less desirable solution which some people do, but I don't recommend, is using the rear brake. This can be bad as you might push on it too hard, causing the rear wheel to skid and low-side the bike. Only do this if you really know what you're doing with your rear brake, but on the whole simply avoid braking altogether.

Short answer: continue what you're doing, push the bike over even harder, and never chop the throttle or grab the brakes unless you're prepared to stand the bike up and brake as hard as possible in a straight line (emergency stop).

7. Yeah, and this is where Honda's useless "Dual Combined Braking System" is glaring in its uselessness. Tap the rear brake like that and the front applies and stands you up.

It happened to me a couple of times when I first got the bike and still was getting used to it.

8. That's the same reason I dislike Honda DCBS... ffs if they want to make bikes safer at least fit proper ABS!

DCBS is an abortion that should never have seen the light of day.

9. An even less desirable rest of this is to slide the back out under braking, release the brake once the rear wheel is beside you. The rear wheel then regains traction and the bike will then violently attempt to realign the rear wheel with the front and you are high sided off the bike. So you get a thud then a side then another thud, rather than just a slid and thud of a low side.

As the others said the best solution is to go for your personal best at leaning/counter steering into the corner.

10. I'd go the way of more (counter)steering input. Personally, I can only think of one thing at a time so probably wouldn't have the presence of mind to back off the throttle. :LOL:

11. Someone told me that if you find yourself running wide, dont shut off the throttle...but instead use more throttle to help the bike ride out of the corner.

It's also important you hit every corner in the right gear, because if you dont have enough revs it becomes hard to get yourself out of trouble...and this is where most people get stuck and things happen.

Dont get caught up trying to enter a corner as fast as you can, even the Moto GP riders dont do that...it might seem like that because they are travelling so fast. But the trick is enter the corner slow and exit fast.

12. Check your rear tyre. Plenty of chicken strips left? There you go... LEAN MORE. It will take anything yo throw it into. I have never heard a bike slide due to too much lean! Crashes happens when panic takes control and you stand the bike up and brake (oops, not enough space...) me included :oops:

13. Re: Correcting in a corner

If you even need to do anything in a corner, it means you are an absolutely "shitful rider". Anyone with any sense will always set their bike up properly before they start to lean their bike. Touch the brakes while you are in the corner and - you are going down..... way down.... expensive down.....painful down...capish?

There is a set rule I think - goes brake, select the right gear, go in at much slower than you think is required (the less experience you have - the slower you should go - unless you are an absolute idiot). When you have passed the apex and can see a clear line out of the corner - then roll the throttle on and accelerate as fast as you like out of the corner.

The best feeling comes as you exit the corner - then you know you have made it. This is the only time that any sensible rider would try to push their bike to the limit.

My best advice - get yourself an an Advanced Rider Course - you probably need the knowledge they will give you. It will save you heaps of pain, money and it may even save you from killing yourself....

14. If I were you, I would either go to riding school and learn from the 'experts' or you could buy some riding books to learn the techneque much cheaper. I did the latter, and now I own four riding books. A good one to start with is 'Total Control' by Lee Parks or/and 'Sport Riding Techniques' By Nick Ienatsh. Lee Parks owns his own riding school in the states and Nick Ienatsch is the head teacher at 'Freddy Spencer's Riding School'. Both books are great and will teach you much more in a few weeks of reading than a life time of 'askin mates'. Im not trying to bag you or anyone else here for offering adivice, It's just that 'friendly advice' can really hurt if it's not understood or explained correctly. Especially on a motorcycle . :D

15. Hmmm, then you just haven't pushed a bike hard enough. Not recommended for street riding though, ever.

Have low sided due to too much lean at Phillip Island on a VTR1000. Had the ride height upped a bit, and high rise exhausts fitted. Took off the hero-blobs on the foot-pegs and had the bike cranked over so far that the foot-pegs were folding up either crushing the foot against the side of the bike so much that I had to take the foot off the pegs.

Even then, the bike wasn't sliding after doing this consistently. The low-side only happened once when giving it a little too much gas attempting a rather ambitious overtaking manauever around the outside of someone on Turn 11. Rear came around suddenly, the left exhaust can started to drag hard, and the bike almost flopped totally on its side, then silly me backed off the throttle, the rear regained grip, and a high side resulted.

In general though if you're ever uncertain how far the bike can lean over and you're in a panic situation and you're on most road-going setup bikes (meaning not a race setup bike with high pegs), then unless you're dragging hard parts on the ground or unless the foot pegs are starting to fold up hard, the bike can be leaned over further.

16. Neither have I............

And from that description neither have you.

17. I received an email from Aust Superbike School. Apparently Keith Code is coming out to help celebrate their 10th anniversary and name change (back) to the California Superbike school as well as attend some schools. Cool. 8)

18. I've signed up to do their Level 1 course next month. Should be interesting. :)

19. Still slid out when cranked over to the max, even if the blame can be held to be the throttle use. Bikes don't fall over on their side when opening the throttle unless cranked right to the edge.

Even despite my amateurish efforts, have seen plenty of low-sides by racers over the years televised.

20. Never happened with my VFR800 with DCBS fitted, especially as it only applies maximum 10% of applied braking force.