Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Correct technique to push / roll start a bike

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by pro-pilot, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Has anybody got a good set of descriptive set of steps to effectively roll start a bike.

2. Certainly
    Ignition on
    Bike in SECOND gear
    Push to gain momentum
    Bump onto the seat side-saddle
    When the engine fires, pull in the clutch and put on brake, keeping the engine revving at the same time.
  3. hilux and big rope? :?
  4. Run like shit beside the bike pushing while your pants gradually creep down to a movement hindering level. Vault yourself onto the bike, only to find your pants now won't allow your leg to get quite hight enough resulting in a duffed attempt. Almost run over yourself while sending the bike into a low speed tank slapper. Regain your composure (bike still moving), take one hand off the bars to pull your pants up, and vault again. Realising you're running out of hill, quickly snick it into 2nd gear and slam your bum on the seat while dumping the clutch. Sputter, sputter, almost, but we're out of hill. Get off and start pushing before it loses all its momentum. Hold the throttle completely open to combat the likely flooded condition the engine is in right now. Bang! A clean firing, resulting in a situation where it seems unlikely your legs are going to keep up with your dragged-along-body. Jump onto one of the foot pegs as a preliminary step to getting the other leg over, but make sure you accidentally knock it into 1st, nearly sending yourself over the handlebars. Finally, make a u-turn, carefully keeping the revs up, ride back, put it on the sidestand, and turn the idle screw up so you can have some time to yourself to spew your guts up from the over exertion.

Too f'n easy.
  5. Devotard

:rofl: :rofl:

Ah, memories.

You forgot to mention having to push the bike back up a 25% grade 'cos you were careless enough to let it die when you got to the bottom of the hill.
  6. sounds just like the way my bro started his bike in darwin. Ahhh my bike has a guaranteee starts first time everytime :p (lets hope it stays that way)
  7. +1 did it a week ago. on a 250

Alothough i have treid on larger capacity 4 cyclinder bikes with no luck at all.
  8. If you're trying a bump start 'cos of a flat battery, you might still have problems.

If the bike's got a permanent magnet alternator, chances are it'll put out enough juice at starting speeds to get things running and the whole thing should then be self sustaining.

However, if the alternator's a non-self-excited type, it relies on a certain amount of battery voltage in order to make it work. Doesn't take much, but if your battery's totally dead you can push until you die of old age and you won't generate enough electricity to create a spark.
  9. His was funnier :rofl:.
  10. Huh? How do you push the bike while it's in gear? You forgot to say, "Hold clutch in" then, after gaining momentum, "let clutch out". :wink:

I don't like the side-saddle method myself. Too worried I'll push the bike to the right and not have a foot over there to hold the bike up! I usually just vault onto the bike from the side, swinging my leg right over.
  11. +1 Cookeetree. It's just a minor glitch from the hornetmeister.

Missing bits added in:

The other variant is to get on the bike and get friends to push you... or roll down a hill then at a good speed, dump the clutch...

PatB is entirely right, but stuffed if I know which type of alternator my bike has :? I hope I don't have to find out...
  12. Old Brit stuff with Lucas electrics had PM alts, as did many small Hondas, certainly up until the demise of the CB250/400N and its derivatives. My Eastern Blocers all had dynamos which are a different beast altogether, and I suspect my early 80s Suzukis of PMhood as they could generally be bumped from being near totally dead, having boiled their batteries dry from dud regulators.

Beyond that, I've not the slightest clue 'cos its the one bit of a bike I've never really had problems with so I've not taken much notice.
  13. Be very careful doing this to hi-comp 4 stroke motocross bikes, when you dump the clutch they will often just lock the rear and if you are only half on the bike well.......
  14. With the holding the clutch in Q, roll the bike in that little special spot between 1st and 2nd. Then when you jump onto the bike (I actually put both feet on the pegs), grab the clutch, click it up (convential shifter) into 2nd and as you drop the clutch, push all your weight into the pegs using body momentum.

If you are trying to start a 4-t MX bike, try clicking through a few gears first and dumping the clutch in 4th or so.

Also, follow your normal starting pattern. If you use the clutch and no throttle to start your bike when cold, do the same when push starting. Otherwise you might be running for a while ;)
  15. I went through a point where I push started my bike regularly. I always did it in first and it worked fine (FZR250).

Does it matter whether or not you start in 1st or 2nd?
  16. Buy one of these :):
  17. Where's the fun in that!

I used one of those things recently and they make the process so easy! I felt like I was cheating..
  18. If you have engine compression it does. If you do, 1st will just lock up the rear wheel.

Thats why we should all be riding bikes with kick starters :p