Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Correct Grammar - it's, its, or its' ??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by moike, Feb 7, 2005.

1. its

<official warning for repeated apostrophe abuse>

2. DOHL! So very true too. Yikes! All fixed now :)

3. Moike, Mouth, both wrong it should be its'...that is, the dog wags its' tail. The tail is the object belonging to the subject, in this case the dog. We've got (notice how it is got rather than gotten, as got is already the past participle of get) lazy in the English language.

Man, I've got too much time on my hands!!!

4. I think it may not be too late to get a refund from your English teacher.

(where does the apostrophe go in "his"?)

5. However - "its" is the plural of it, and since we are only speaking about a single dog in this case, the correct placement should be "it's" - HOWEVER, I understand for readability the apostrophe is generally dropped when referring to the singular subject. I cannot for the life of me recall where I read about that, however if this is incorrect let me know. Think about it like this - if we said Jason's bike (referring to a single Jason) this is the correct placement - yet if we have two people called Jason and state "Jason's bikes" this refers to one Jason owning more than one bike. The correct placement in this case would be "Jasons' bikes" referring to multiple Jasons. :D

6. Just to clarify:
    The term " its' " would refer to something belonging to "its" and therefore is not applicable.
    The term "it's" is an abbreviation of "it is" and is therefore not applicable. The term "its" is defined as "belonging to" and is the correct form in this instance.
    Edit: the term "its" could also be used as a plural of it as in "...there were 5 its over there" but this use is unlikely in grammatically correct text.

7. No.

"Them" and "they" are plurals of "it".

Posessive pronouns do not make use of apostrophes.

My, your, his, her, its, their, our.

8. Moike,

Light bulb goes on now! Must have missed that rule in English one day!!

Cheers,

9. I'm just lazy, if you can susitute 'it is' then I use it's otherwise I use its.

don't ask me, I only work here.

10. ROFL

Nice one, Moike.....

11. You lot need a life!!!!!!! :LOL:

Groberts, you had better stay out of this thread ;)

12. That's exactly how I remember the difference between the two. Too easy :D

13. Is that comma correct? :LOL:

14. i agree with flipper, you guys have too much time on hands, i'll handball some of my work on to you if your gonna sit around arguing about spelling :LOL:

15. Your all wrong it's its not its' although his or her wood do to :LOL:

16. Yes, you're right, but your "your" should actually be "you're". :D

.... and I'm not even going to touch your "wood". :p

17. too wright yore knot!

But to is also wrong, shouldn't it bee too? :p

18. Except for 2 previous people in this thread, everybody else should find a brick wall & introduce ur heads 2 it, at speed.

That way we can c if u guys even register a head ache. Either that or find something useful 2 do. :D

19. Your English teacher should be sacked.
    The dog wags its tail.
    NO APOSTROPHE!

BTW Jason fix these other apostrophe errors as well.
    Now in it's 26th year, the Australian Red Cross Blood Service runs it's annual Summer

General Discussion
    For everything that's not covered by the other forum's

As a teacher when I see that I really get the shits.
    Yes sometimes my typing is bad but they are typos not errors.

20. It's "It's" and I shall explain why. It's is like other words, which are essentially a conjugation of two words, where the 2nd word is a preposition. The vowel of the 2nd word is dropped and replaced with the apostrophe:

It is = It's
    He is = He's
    Is not = Isn't
    Would not = Wouldn't
    Could not = Couldn't
    Have not = Haven't
    There is = There's
    You are = You're
    They are = They're
    ... and so forth.