Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Correct fitting length for boots?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by shake, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Hi all, sorry in advance for the noob question - but I'm a new rider and keen to get some opinions from more experienced folk here, so here goes.

I just bought a new pair of motorcycle boots (my first!), but am having second thoughts on the fit now, after having tried them on some more at home.

The boot actually feels quite comfortable all over - snug without being too tight, minimal movement in the heel. But the one problem area is in the length. When I stand straight up and wiggle my toes, I can just feel the end of the boot at the front.

My first reaction was that this would be okay, as once I'm seated on the bike, the riding position would flex my ankle and push my foot backwards in the boot. Much like how proper-fitting skiing boots should be.

But now that I'm walking around a bit more at home, I can imagine it getting a bit annoying if I'm walking around off the bike (say to/from the office and bike). If this was for a regular casual shoe, I would definitely go up a size. But I figured it would be okay for a street riding boot, particularly as I wanted to avoid the boot interfering with my gear changes.

What's the general advice for how boots should fit? Is my logic re the riding position reasonable, or do people think I'm just stupid and should go up a size?

Any advice appreciated, thanks for reading.

2. What boots did you get ?
    What's your normal shoe size?
    What size boot did you get?

More info gets a better answer IMHO

Cheers Jeremy
  3. I bought the Dainese TRQ Tour boots, here:

Got them in size EU 41/US 8.5/UK 7.5.

A bit hard to say definitively what my normal shoe size is, as I find it varies between brands and styles. For leather dress shoes/boots, I'm normally a UK 7, but in casual sneakers about UK8.5-9. So you would think the UK 7.5 boots here should be fine.

Ideally I would like to wear the boots on the bike, to work etc, just to get a better feel for the sizing and comfort - but that would impact my chances of getting an exchange, so I'm kinda caught in a dilemma.
  4. Are they hurting you? are your toes scrunched up? the more protection the boots offer typically the less comfortable they are for anything but riding.

if they are physically too small then return them, if you want something that s also comfortable to walk around in all day then return them and buy boots that are comfortable to walk around in all day.
  5. Personally, if I wiggle my toes and it touches the front of the boot, that's a no go. I prefer to be comfortable in a set of boots on and off the bike. Being comfortable on a bike is pretty important, less things to annoy you while you dodge wankers on phones. I'd go one size up, assuming you would still have good ankle support if you move one size up.
  6. On the assumption that you have said that you want to wear the boots all day and while at work I have guessed that you are not wearing a suit etc that you need dress shoes with - solution might be as simple as just leaving another pair of shoes at work, that's what I do.
  7. These boots are made for walking. That's not generally the case with motorcycle boots. I prefer a snug fit, if they are comfortable on the bike that's all I'm interested in. In fact my Sidi boots are a size smaller than my normal shoes, they feel secure and give me good control over my levers, I certainly wouldn't want to walk around in them all day though.
  8. In the footwear fitting trade there should always be toe wriggle room. If you can feel pressure on the end of the toe, as in pushing the toes into the foot then that's alarm bell territory.

Can you get to a shop and try the next size up?
  9. These are touring boots. You want some room and you should be able to walk around comfortably. I have exactly the same boot and went to the next size over the nice snug fit, both for the reasons above and because in winter I need to wear two pairs of socks out on the open road (yep, I feel da cold!)!

With these boots I've found the larger size is best .. in summer the extra room seems to help with heat and in winter as stated it allows additional layers. I have walked around quite a bit in these (larger size) and they are never uncomfortable or cause blisters or soreness. They do however squeak a might ... maybe I should oil them :D .
  10. #11 BitSar, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  11. Wow, thanks for all the comments! Sorry I haven't had time to reply earlier - appreciate all the advice though.

I'm still in two minds at the moment - like Jem, Mcsenna and BitSar have suggested, the top priority should be how they feel on the bike, rather than walking on the street. So from that perspective I think the boots are fine.

On the other hand, it just feels counter-intuitive when I walk around the house in the boots, and feel my toes lightly brushing the front of the boot. The boots are quite comfortable overall actually, just the front of my feet feel a bit squashed (and it doesn't help that the boots have quite a narrow tapered toe).

To clarify my main usage scenario - I intend on wearing these for the daily commute to work, and for the short walk between the office and bike (say 10-15 mins walk). Once I get in the office I will just change into a pair of dress shoes.
  12. Return them or in a month's time you will be kicking yourself.
    Try on the next size up in the same boot. If they aren't doing it for you, try a different boot.
  13. Wear thin socks if you keep the boots.