Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Corporal punishment

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 99CIBBER, Mar 17, 2011.

1. #1 99CIBBER, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    In light of recent events in schools, I agree that schools and teachers have lost the power to discipline students for violent and anti social behavior. I remember the cane being used in primary school until year 6. At high school I think the laws changed and the use of canes, straps and mini cricket bats was stopped. My old man talked about getting six of the best and a wrap across the knuckles with the yard stick when he was at scool in Tassie. So what other punishment was dished out to the toughies and scalliwags at your school?

2. I can't talk from experience from when i was younger, but i work at a school now and most of the other teachers went through the strap, cane and belt buckle. They said if they complained they would cop it from the parents again, i reckon in a way its a good deterrent but would never work now as society would have to change and you cant see that ever happening :(
  3. i had the record for most canes...fromn year 7 to year 8...21!!!
    it was that or have a saturday detention for 3 hours picking up papers in yr school uniform..so i always chose the cane...lol
    it did me no harm and im no deliquent..pity its gone...nice welts on back of the thighs..
  4. Picking up litter, detention, note sent home to parents.

But I went to WASP schools.
  5. I fully support it. I copped it from the day I started school to the day I kicked out!!

Kids these days need the discipline.
  6. #6 99CIBBER, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I've heard one story when naughty kids had their hair clamped in a vice which was attached to a wall about hip height. Chesus.
  7. Corporal punishment, on its own, doesn't work, especially at school. I went to a school that had a reputation for knocking kids into line. Eventually parents who couldn't control their kids at home started sending the kids there expecting that they'd get a bit of discipline. The only thing that changed was it became more thuggish than it was before.

They had the cane, and they went from using it maybe once or twice a year to using it maybe once a month. There were kids in my class that got caned, but why you got caned instead of getting a Saturday detention (which was usually five hours of scrubbing out muddy and stinking canvas tents from the yearly army cadet camp) was a mystery. There was nothing preventative or edifying about getting caned. I think those who got caned even preferred it over Saturday detention.

The bullying got worse while I was there, and enrolments started drying up. They stopped using the cane in 1994, and simply expelled a number of kids when they realised they couldn't deal with them effectively. Things got better and enrolments picked up massively the next year. But it was still a pretty f*cked place.

The lesson: what keeps kids in line at school is parental expectation. Fear of detention and fear of expulsion only really work when its backed up by the fear of what your parents are going to do to you when you f*ck up. If the parents can't do it, the teachers don't have much chance.
  8. Best one I heard was a teacher who had a big cupboard. All the kids wore blazers. When someone misbehaved, he would stick a coathanger in the neck of the blazer and hang the child up in the cupboard.
  9. What keeps kids inline is fear.
  10. I don't disagree with you. But fear comes in lots of forms, and fear of pain isn't aways effective.

On the topic of interesting punishments, I did a year of school in Japan. If the teacher lectured you, he'd cup you head in his hands, so that the corner of the lower palm (non-thumb side) lay over the corner of your jaw. He'd then tilt your head back a little, and tap the corner of your jaw with one hand, while pressing the other side firmly. Try it. It doesn't hurt, but it's deeply, deeply unpleasant. Imagine 2 minutes of it while you're being quizzed about what you did on the way to school.

Standard punishment for being late to class or for talking was to sit on the floor in "seiza" position (with the top of your feet flat on the floor and your heals tucked up under your arse). It hurts for the first five minutes until you loose feeling in your legs, then its OK until you have to stand up again. Its agony when you get up again. Pain of that nasty pins and needles variety.
  11. Indeed, but that fear must come from the home first and then schools second, rather than schools first and discipline completely removed from the home. If there is no accountability at home, there will be no respect at school.
  12. Agree with this 100%. Discipline at school was a joke but I only ever pushed it so far, coz I knew if my old man got involved then it was game over
  13. Yeah, there are more important elements than the specific punishment. Consistency and follow-through are among them. Smacking a kid does no good if you let 'im get away with it the rest of the time. Confiscating beloved toys doesn't work if you cave halfway through. A caution means nothing if there's been no consequences in the past.

Bodily punishment is useless without the proper foundations and framework behind it, and the same goes for any other sort of punishment (which can be just as effective, when people aren't using them as an excuse to not do stuff properly =\).

Yeah. There's plenty of people who just don't care that much about pain.

EDIT: And when I talk about alternative forms of punishment, talking about feelings etc. is far from my mind. That stuff is not punishment (aside from the torturous boredom of hearing or speaking it for the hundredth time :p). Feel free to teach your kids that other people have feelings too, but your immediate response to an incident should be immediate in timing and impact.
  14. didn't we have this conversation last year, and didn't it end ugly?
  15. ... woose! 63 in year 6. Destroyed 3 canes along the way...
  16. The cane hurts until you have had a few good floggings, then it is just a bit pinchy. It is best you don't get the flogging on the side of the road (or in the park or wherever it catches up to you) in the first place. Just a hint to any young-uns reading this, getting the cane early might stop you getting the real deal later.:-k
  17. they should teach self esteem and mindfullness in schools. If kids feel better about themslelves, they are less likely to be violent. Hurt people Hurt people.
  18. They should also teach creationism as science, cause religion has all the answers.
  19. On ya, TRA! That made me chuckle. ;)

Still, what appears to be touchy, feely, neo-hippie bullshit actually has some hard scientific backing (Tory Higgins self-discrepancy theory is one of the more solid and empirically verified psychological theories.) Much of primary school curriculum is geared toward developing just what aaahhh is talking about, but it does it obliquely and by other means. The reason they get kids to do all sorts of activities - music, painting, writing, playing not just sport, but a variety of sports - is to provide them with a variety of situations to anchor their sense of self to. It sets them up to be resilient in defeat, because its not their whole sense of self that is affected. It also provides them with multiple aspects of self which they can use to relate to others.
  20. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!!!!!!