Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dale_8888, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I was coming home from work tonight and as I am getting more confident with the bike, am getting lower to the ground around corners, and I went around a tight left hander (25km/h advisory) and I noticed that my left toe touched the ground...

I think that's a little confident considering I've been riding on the road just over 2 weeks :S

I have had a few problems turning right though, and I think I figured it out. When I turn left I look, lean and then my right knee pulls the bike into the turn. But turning right I was noticing that I would look, lean, and the bike wouldn't move much, so I had to steer it away so it would lean in. So I am starting to work on that one now!

I have read the riding tips and the ones that I learnt from the most (and are constantly reminding myself of to practice) are the leading with the shoulder, using the legs and back to control and stay on the bike, and looking through the turn. They are some great tips!

Now all I need to do is practice turning right ;)
  2. This is 'countersteering', and it is the way which all two-wheeled vehicles turn at speed - even bicycles. :)

Push the right handlebar to turn right, push the left handlebar to turn left.

The need to countersteer becomes even more pronounced as speed increases.
  3. yeah! Thanks mate.

It's not that I don't do it turning left. It was worrying because I actually had to think about the input and to force it, as opposed to it beinga natural reaction!

I think I am learning quick, but then 500km a week will do that to you when 60% of the riding is in the hills :p
  4. I dont need to counter steer. I conventionally steer, and the bike is too intimidated to do it wrong.
  5. He he, yeah I'm trying that! But with my MASSIVE 60KG, it requires a bit of movement :p

It's getting better! And with all the tips and what not on this forum, it's easy to learn fast!
  6. Dale, sometimes it is better to adopt the slow and steady approach.

If you grounded your toe you may have your foot pointed down too much and possibly lead to getting your foot dragged under the foot peg please be careful mate.

Most riders have a favorite side when cornering, mine is my left side and after many years every time I do a track day I have to practice throwing the bike into right turns so don't worry mate it is quite normal to have a preferred side.

Have fun learning and if you find it a problem in future "Cornering schools" are the way to go as you will learn all the skills you need at the track taught by professionals who won't lead you astray.

Stay safe mate.
  7. man, did you not see the 15 page cornering thread??

gosh......... :roll:
  8. Balls of your feet on the pegs Brudda, not your arch with your toes flappin about willy nilly, balls on the pegs also help you to move around on the bike better too mate.

Enjoy, Cheers
  9. Thanks mate! Just another tip that'll I'll take with me!

Have to be conscious to move my feet now as well :D
  10. I think alot of people stuggle with the right cos you are leaning on the throttle,
    And trying to control that while leaning, looking and doing two million other things you have to do on public roads can slow it down.
    As dumb as it sounds, I think you can get a bit of inspiration from the beauty of TV now days.
    I was watchin' MotoGP the other night, watching the onboard with the Master, Mr V Rossi, watching the way that these guys use the controls can give you some help with this.
    It's all about the preparation for the corner, ensure that your in the right gear, that you have hit enough brake, then look through the corner, grip on to the tank and power out of it. Yee haw....
  11. Slow entry, fast exit. Especially true on the open roads where there may be ANYTHING on/around the corner... :shock:

.....Or some hot Brunette walking by.... Target fixation anyone? :p :LOL:
  12. options are

in slow out slow
    in slow out fast *
    in fast out slow
    in fast don't come out

* I prefer this one
  13. You forgot

-In slow, don't come out

^^^^ I've done this one too :LOL:
  14. Was trying the balls of my feet on the pegs today. I think it drastically fixed my riding position and the overall feeling that I get when riding. When riding more aggressively, sit comfortably further back with body lower. Feel like I'm going faster :D

Think I'm still getting lower too...

I'm going to push until I pushed it over if I'm not careful. Need to watch those professionals and get onto a track to learn some skills :D
  15. Kranzy - I was always told during my QRIDE NOT to have the balls of the feet on the pegs as if you need to get on the brakes quickly you have too much foot travel and the chances of missing/slipping are too great. They said have the centre/arch of the foot squarely on the pegs and have your toe to the side of the brake so you just have a small sideways movement to do in an emergency. Is this advice incorrect? I see a lot of riders out there doing both techniques. I put the centre of my foot on the pegs with my toes out to the side as that is what I was originally taught but must confess that when I am leaning over a lot in a corner (left or right) my toe makes contact with the ground.
  16. Not incorrect, it just depends on the situation you're in.

If you're going around a corner, particularly in a spirited fashion, you typically want to keep your toes from hitting the ground - so you move your feet back on the pegs to keep them clear. Afterall, you shouldn't be stomping on the rear brake in an emergency halfway around a corner anyway. Right?

If you're in town and need to cover the brakes in case 'something happens', by all means, ride with your toes near the brake lever.

If you're on the freeway for a few hours... well, actually I alternate between the two, to stretch my legs and take weight off of my butt now and then.

Just have to consider, "Do I presently need to be covering the brake or do I need to avoid rubbing my toes along the road?"
  17. Well said Spots.

Filtering/splitting/Low speed... Generally cover the rear brake.

Spirited riding... Balls out.. oh I mean on the pegs...

In an emergency situation by the time you've grabbed enough front brake to slow you should have brought your foot to the brake by then anyway, and the movement fron the ball to the arch in that time has given your brain time to process the situation and MAY help you to not over-react and lock the rear brake instantly.

They teach you the BASICS at most riding schools (license test ones, I know there's advanced schools) In where most students don't NEED to have their balls on the pegs for the added movement/control of the bike at higher speed and greater lean angles. But as you advance, changes need to be made to your stance/position on the bike to get the most out of it and yourself.

Oh another one... Wheelies..... Cover the brake :p
  18. I am a newbie with only a couple of months on motorised 2 wheels but I feel more solid on the bike with the balls of my feet on the pegs.

It seems to bring/keep my knees closer to the tank and that gives me a more solid feeling. As has been said tho, if you anticipate needing brakes etc then you need to move em fo'ward. Looking ahead, anticipating what will happen is key.
  19. Good stuff oh wise Yoda. Do what's comfortable/feels right.

MAXIMUM CONTROL is what we're all pursuing... How you personally attain that is down to you and what tickles you fancy, personally I have a nice Brunette to tickle mine.. :shock: :LOL:
  20. I've been using my balls! :D And it's enabled me to get closer to the ground, and I am in a much more comfortable position where I feel I have more control of the bike!

Thanks guys!