Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cornering/turning right

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by tonee, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Is it just me or is it harder to do corner/turn to the right than the left?

If you used to suffer from this, how did you fix it?

Any advise?
  2. Hold your nerve and turn in later. George.
  3. Its all about how ur brain works and what part is dominant.
    Its exhibited everywhere, snowboarding, surfing, etc.
    Basically anything where you put one foot first. Also exhibited on motorbike as youve experienced... Only way to get better at is practice.
  4. You're obviously putting the wrong glove on first.
  5. I've got the same thing but on left hand turns !!

On motorcycle tyres you can sometimes notice that the wear pattern is not even. Maybe that is due to the same thing ... the rider goes harder on the side that s/he is more comfortable.
  6. yeh im the same, generally. On some roads that I know fairly well I'm better at right than left though I think that has to do with the corner itself
  7. Everyone I have spoken to have found that one side is harder to turn than the other and the majority have this problem with right hand turns.

Practice will obviously help to resolve this and maybe someone could have a look at your riding and provide some feedback. It might be total nonsense but I found that by concentrating on pointing my hip into the corner all became much easier and improved my left turns too.
  8. Definately the same for me and especially going downhill cornering right. Glad to hear Im not the only one who suffers from this. I've gradually come to the conclusion that I'm coming into the corner too close to the middle white line but its a hard habit to break. I'm doing a Stay Upright course in a couple of weeks and am really hoping this will put an end to my unbalanced right cornering technique. Try moving more across to the left, that might help.
  9. I used to have that but it disappeared when I started doing track days. My first track was Broadford so that was an excellent opportunity to work on right hand turns!! Just getting the rh technique up to par with the left and having it feel natural.

Do a tracky I reckon! (then again, that's my solution to all of life's problems :LOL:)
  10. I'm with Morbo. Like most, I used feel more comfortable with one side (I can't even remember which side it was anymore), but after a number of track days, that completely disappeared.
  11. Really?

I can't say I have had any difficulty turning either way. I did hear that beginners can have some trouble turning right initially because of the position of the throttle, but... well it never bothered me.

12. A lot of beginners also grip the handlebars in a death grip too
    Try flapping your elbows like a chicken before you enter the corner.

You cant do it if you have too much tension in your arms.

yeah it looks stupid, but believe me it works.

another you thing you can try is to use the last fingers on the throttle and hold the first 2 fingers of your right hand over the brake. This makes it almost impossible to grip the throttle too tightly and has the added advantage of making braking easier, you simply roll off the throttle and squeeze the brake all in the one movement.

13. My comment related only to "everyone that I had spoken to" perhaps I should also clarify that it is generally only in the early days. I am happy to conceed that not everybody would experience this though. If I have spoken to you about this matter previously and forgotten I apologise.
  14. Like "Simon say's" :wink:......Track days / race school.....

you'll learn more in 1 day than the sum of all the road riding you did in the last year.
  15. Did my first ever ride day last year at P.I., on Australia Day (50th birthday present....best day ever!).
    I was really struggling with the VTR, in the tight corners T4 & T10.
    After a few laps, one of the instructors took a few of us behind the pits, and got us to do some
    quick changes of direction (slalom) at low speed.
    My problem was that my arms where to straight and sort of "perpendicular" to the track, or too much in line with the forks, for a better description.
    He made me stand back a little bit on the seat, and lower my elbows to try and have them as parallel as possible to the track. And as someone else mentioned, you also need to relax your elbows.
    As I understand, the idea is to turn the bars with very little pressure onto the ends.
    One could almost turn by pushing with only one finger... If the arms are too straight, you tend to oppose resistance to the forks,
    and the whole thing becomes a lot harder.
    Apologies for the poor explanation; someone else might be able to convey this a bit better! (and with a better English!)
  16. Same.

Back when I did my licence test, I was talking to the instructor. He said he found that most new riders had more difficulty turning right because as they lean they tend to grab the bars, and by putting their weight on their arms they inadvertently roll on more throttle. Obviously doesn't work that way turning left.
  17. Believe it or not i still do this at the start of every ride, just until i get settled on the bike, and every now and again during a ride, or as i approach a few turns/corners that i don't like i will also do it just more as a mental reminder to keep upper body loose.

The other post about hanging out wider is also good advice on r/h turns, most people apex to early on right handers
  18. RH turning "discomfort" compared to LH turns is common. Someone said it relates to whichever is your dominant side, and there's some evidence to support that. It also tends to be because of road camber works against the turn, your head is in the path of oncoming traffic and shifting cramps the style of your throttle hand.

Technique, time and practice gets you past it.
  19. I am equally comfortable with lefts and rights, however my "back-tyre-o-meter" shows that I favour cornering right slightly as the right chicken strip is slightly skinnier. 8-[
  20. I tend to favor left handers a "little" bit but wear the right side of my front tyre faster. I guess I am just not as smooth, or the radius of the corner is slightly larger hence covering a bit more distance, but I would not have thought you would see that in tyre wear.