Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cornering technique

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by oliver, Jul 29, 2008.

1. I've got a a quick question regarding cornering technique. I've largely taught myself to ride on the road, trying to put into practice things that I have been told by others or read on here, but i just need clarification on one aspect of cornering. To downshift first or brake first when cornering

Approaching a corner that requires a lower gear I generally downshift before I start braking and then tip into the corner- Is this correct?? or should I first apply the brake and then downshift whilst on the brakes before entry??

2. There's a book called stayin' safe by lawrence brodsky and he calls downchanging while braking the toughest skill in motorcycling. He recommends what you are doing.

edit. just looked in reg pridmores book smooth riding. he says the same thing, but as you get better to move the downshift closer to the braking until you can do both together.

3. Thanks for your help :? :?

I had searched and couldn't find a post which specifically answered my original question - the links you posted didn't quite do it either, the one post that does , mentions braking first which contradicts what 'twistngo' indicates above.
  4. No worries sorry it didn't help.
    That was a sample of the search
    have a longer look and also search keith code stuff as there is a lot of discussion on cornering there as well.
  5. There is'nt any hard and fast rule, but generally speaking, if you downshift first, you may not even need to brake, or at least might not need to brake as much. That's what I usually do, and I believe it is the best order of business overall. So, yeah...what you are doing is ok. :)
    Downshifting and braking at the same time does take some mastering, so leave that for when you feel you are able to do so without relinquishing your level of control.
    Just my 2 cents..