Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cornering technique

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wallyt99, Aug 28, 2006.

1. What do you guys think is better?

A wide steady LOOONG turn.....

Turning late, really dipping it into the corner and straightening up quicker?

I have been experimenting with both, and I find them both good (or bad)depending on conditions and speed....

I find the first one can be dangerous (not that I've come off) if you are commited to a lean angle, then you see gravel or something in your path it can be hard to modify your line without going wide...

Alternatively with the second you may overcook and highside...

Help :].
  2. Each corner requires a different approach, whether it be a long sweeper or more technical twisties.

Although each corner still follows the same core elements:

1. Pick a turn point (where you actually begin the corner)
    2. Adjust your speed and gear before you start cornering
    3. Look at where you want to go
    4. Stay off those brakes, dont throttle all the way off suddenly and keep those arms loose! Have faith in yourself and the bike
    5. Gently and evenly roll on the throttle as early as you can to help settle some (ideally 60%) of the weight on the rear tyre (this is when the bike is the most stable).
  3. Exactly! You use whichever is suitable for the riding conditions and your level of experience and comfort.
  4. Also try to get your hands on a 'Twist of the Wrist' Volume 1 or 2. I've heard rumours that volume 2 is floating around out there on the interwebs.
  5. Tagging on to the original question: I tend not to ever 'experience' it as counter-steering. To me it just feels like turning in to the corner. If I really concentrate I guess I can feel it, but trying to do it intentionally would be very weird to me. Maybe it's 'cos I learned (muscle-memory) my cornering on trail bikes and then road bikes all around 25 years ago... Anyone else have this experience... i.e. that consciously 'counter-steering' seems completely unintuitive, and in some ways like an odd way to teach people about cornering?
  6. The point of conscious counter-steering is to get the bike onto its side quicker, and therefore turning sooner. Sure, you'll turn into a corner somewhat naturally without even really thinking about it. This skill would've been learned at about age 4-6 on your first bicycle without you really realising it.

By pushing on the bars hard to get the bike to plonk on its side more quickly means that you need less lean angle to make the corner, because the bike is turning sooner. If you consciously counter steer hard, but use the same lean angle as you normally would, you'll find yourself running off the inside of the corner.

Sure, if you're just up for a lazy ride through the twisties, there's no real need to use conscious counter steering, but it is a good skill to have and to practise. It can save your butt if you go into a corner that tightens more than you expected as you approach it. Go in a little deeper and punch that sucker onto its side as quick as you can, and you'll likely make the corner with ease.
  7. not really odd. quite importatn actually. since it is counter intuitive, a number of people when put in a panic situation will turn the handlebars in the direction they want to go. I've seen it done actually. if you learn and practice with countersteering in mind it will be a lot safer.

I won't even bother touch on the cornering advantages to learning the concept specifically - others more qualified can espouse the advantages...
  8. I have just started reading this again :) (Can't afford the course just yet, so this is the next best thing for me).

It can be found at https://www.fishpond.com.au. I had to look far and wide to find anyone that had any in stock and not at a rip-off price.

I found this was the cheapest place to purchase at just over $41 delivered.

The complete range (hopefully) will be available at GP, they normally have a stand in the Exhibition.
  9. wallyt99, the thing about potion one is that you can carry so much more speed though a corner, and once you start getting confident with this you can practise your knee scrapes. :)
  10. OK, I stand corrected, and will work on conscious counter-steering as well in my practice sessions.
  11. I've been practicing using my legs as much as possible to turn the bike.
    It's really good to demonstrate how much your weight contributes to a lean, and is superb practice for managing weight distribution on a bike.

On top of that, once you turn with your legs, you can THEN pull the bike down with you into the corner and get yo' lean on more than usual.
  12. man this stuff is so amazing to read. I can't wait to get into doing it. :grin:
  13. Great points haggis.

How bout shifting weight to one side or leaning forwards? I find shift weight to one side helps me alot even if its a big curve in the road.
  14. Thanks for this post a great read and really helped my lines even in commuting today, can't wait to try it out on the twisties, and eventually the track.
  15. You might want to check out amazon next time
  16. Thanks to Cathar & robsalvv for the constructive links.

I've been riding on & off for a while and one thing is for sure, you can never have too much good advice.

As you push he corners with experience, you'll always have a scare or two, its how you correct/learn and take evasive action that will improve your riding ability. Also try a track day, worth the $$ for the fun & experience.
  17. I got Twist of the Wrist 1+2 delivered from Amazon for AU$38