Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cornering - Right Handers

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by toar_rl, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Injured my wrist about 2 months ago and never really let it heal properly. A month ago tore some ligaments in the same wrist, so hadn't had a good ride for a while, but today was perfect weather, so bandaged up my wrist and bit my tongue.

Just returned from a quick sprint in the hills. The pain was worth it.

My cornering is progressively improving, a large part due to the tips found on this forum (thanks to those who share their knowledge with us beginners)

So I’m at the stage where a left handers basically feel like I’m on rails, effortless, I just lean and the rest follows suit.

BTW my approach is as follows: Front Brake, Lean, Release front brakes, Throttle, ride the rear brake

I always have 2 fingers on the front brake lever too, mainly because I’m on public roads and you just never know.

So with the right handers, they still feel clumsy, uncomfortable and just not as smooth.

I’ve tried taking my fingers off the front brake lever so I get a good grip of the throttle, this helps a bit but makes me nervous on public roads, especially when you can’t see around the corner and not familiar with the roads.

I know it’s always harder cornering on the throttle side but any tips would be great

Am I doing something wrong?
    How do you approach right handers?
    Is it just psychological? (ie, need more practice, confidence… and balls)

Cheers everyone

PS. Can’t afford superbike school just yet
  2. Leaving aside your physical technique (brake, lean, turn etc) for those who know what they're on about...

Right handers on public road:

It's in your head.

Recently got a good handle on this myself (and I'm no gun rider by any means).

For me the RH problem was that sensation of my head hanging over the wrong side of the white line, or the whole bike going over there if I turned to tight.

Solution: I wasn't turning too tight per se, I was turning too early. Stay wide in the RH's turn a bit later and then a bit later again next time than you are now. The difference is surprising.

Because this keeps me clear of the white line, I don't spend the attention worrying about it, just keep a smooth constant line through the corner.

Try it, hope it works for you :)
  3. You don't want any fingers covering the front brake. You could have a panic reaction and as a result, grab a handful which would most likely be the less than favorable reaction (mid-corner and leaned over, for example), especially when riding it out would be the better option.

The approach I have to cornering is front brake before the corner, release, open throttle and tip it in at the same time, *slowly* roll on the throttle until I can completely commit to the corner (see the exit) and then roll on some more to complete the corner and stand the bike up. Though, typically I ride at a pace where brakes aren't needed.

Right handers are approached the same as the left ones pretty much. Look way up ahead - through the trees too, brakes before corner, push on the appropriate side, throttle on throughout and opened up once the exit is sighted.

JBot says a good thing about road positioning and turning too early too.
  4. I was having more trouble with the rights today on my first real twisties run. It was always better when I consentrated on staying wide that little bit longer, as Jbot said. Just practise to get used to it.
  5. right hand corners were always harder for me when i started off but now its all good. it takes time to get use to going around RH corners. best tip i can give you is:
    lean your head more and look where you want to go
    keep speed constant (this makes it alot easier to turn in)
    have left leg against the tank and counter steer.

at first it is going to feel very weird and scary but after a few months, you wont even notice it. dont rush it, it will come to you in time
  6. im a rightey!

every rider i know has a preference either way.
    just keep trying and you'll get it.

as for technique, sounds like you are doing ok, so keep doing what you are doing and ride safe :)
  7. Thanks for the tips guys, I guess I just need to get more confident, i think it is in my head as most of you say.

Jbot - whe you say

do you do it another way?

Thanks again everyone
  8. I'm a little bit the same when it comes to really hooking into corners. I lowsided on a right hander whilst attempting to hook in and ride a corner out; ever since then i can't take right handers as smoothly or comfortably as left handers. My main problem is purely psychological though, i lowsided and the bike ran off into the ditch on the left of the road therefore i stay away from the ditch at all costs.

My way of thinking is the Philip Island circuit is mostly left handers anyway so whoopity-do. If my right handers improve in time then so be it, otherwise i'll continue gunning my lefties and sooking my righties.
  9. Don't let your head roll with the bike. Keep your eyes and head level. Head turned about 45 degrees, ie pointing over the end of the handle bar, or thereabouts.
    Look where you want the bike to go not where you don't want to go ie Don't look at the pothole.. your bound to hit it.
    I agree with Bluplet about the front brake, getting the braking done before the corner and road position.
  10. I do it a little differently.

Brake, release, positive throttle, turn and then exit as appropriate.

Your order indicates you are still braking when you initiate the turn, I finish braking first, and don't trail the rear.

My real point was that I'm no expert so I won't comment on that aspect of your riding, 'cos who says I know any better than you :)

But the road position thing helped me heaps, so I figured it might be worth you thinking about too :cool:
  11. yep i agree, i use to do it the way you described but have recently been holding front break on into the corner. I read it in "twist of the wrist" and seems to work/make sense.

When you continue front breaking into the corner it tilts the bike forward and you lean into the turn automatically. I can really feel the difference, the bike turns for me rather than me actually turning the bike, hense the feeling that i'm on rails...

i tried taking the corners wider as you suggested and it definately helped, thanks Jbot
  12. I got to work early this week and parked my bike behind a mate's bike and when I got off and pulled the helmet off, one of the regular truck transport drivers commented that it's good to see more folks riding etc ( apparently he rides a GSXR ) and then he commented on the rear wheels of our bikes. He pointed out that my mates rear wheel had wear marks more or less in the center of the tyre and said with a smile "You have to lean more into the corners... get that wear on the tyre all the way to the edge, not just in the middle". Then we got to talking about the right hand corners and he said that one reason why its harder for some to to do them is that because they don't like putting their weight on the throttle while deep into a corner because it affects their ability to control the power- that its psychological.
    I thought about that for a while and when riding afterwards, I made a serious effort into making sure my right hand leaning / cornering was laid over just as much as the left hand cornering that I enjoy. I reckon I can get my tyre wear nice and even from one edge to the other with some practice. :)
  13. I noticed when I started riding that most corners, particularly where I live, are left handers so you get more practice at them. I think this often plays a big part but after getting some track time (especially in the reverse direction) I'm much the same either side.
  14. Right hand turns are harder for me too. But i got told to shift my weight to one side when doing it. It's helped alot!

And also, it seems like most of you are applying your front brakes as you are leaning into the corner... this doesnt make sense, as i find it harder to lean when i have my front brakes on.

if we're talking right handed twisties, this is what i usually do. It seems to work for me:

i usually slow down to my desired speed,
    turn my head to the vanishing point of the road,
    shift my weight to the right side of the bike (i use my pegs to help me do this),
    opposite steer (that way the bike leans),
    apply enough throttle to get me throught the turn, and
    then open up my throttle to exit the corner.
  15. Everyone will have a natural prefrence of cornering, there will always be one side that feels more comfortable.

It's mainly to do with your throttle hand, and whether it's easier for you to control the throttle with your arm stretched out (turning left) or bunched up (turning right).

Practice will eventually sort this out, I do all my riding now on the track, and my local track runs clockwise, theres 6 Rights and 3 Lefts.
    I'm much better at throwing the bike into the rights, and I find it easier to control rear wheel slides.
    With the lefts I never seem to lean it enough, and when it starts to slide I find it arkward to change my weight and get the bike picked up.

I'm doing a couple days at Phillip Island GP track in December, so hopefully I'll improve my left hand turns while im there.
  16. hey 7THSIN, today i have gotten over my right hand turning hang up.

1. i was used to taking controlling the throttle with my arm stretched, consciously got used to controlling throttle bunched up and now it's sweet.

2. taking corners wider as Jbot suggested helped also.

3. simple but effective, when your running wide, look, lean into the turn by hanging off bike rather than leaning bike too far.

Anyway dropped my bike again doing a U turn but couldn't wipe the smile off my face from the 2 hours of twisties