Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cornering or flat highway?

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by jphanna, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Well i have only been doing Mbike riding for a year and a bit. i thought the jet ski was the best entertainmet you could get, but since i got my bike, that feeling has changed. the bike 'lifestyle' is very much part of me now.

i was undecided initally about whether to go cruiser or sport, but when i decided to go cruiser, i didnt want to just sit on the open road loping along in a straight line.....cornering was going to be essential part of my trips. hairpins, sweepers, flowing etc as well as straight roads. mainly hills riding, becaus e that is where the scenery is, as well as the bakeries.

pick a nice sunday, and the choice bakeries, of the biking 'community' will see 20-70 odd bikes parked out the front.....

i have mentioned in a few other threads about my next bike. i have been reading threads from all over the world about handling of cruisers in tight corners. it seems the M50 is on the winners list, for handling the twisties.

do you give a rats about cornering, with your cruiser, or you happy to lope along the open road and 'deal' with corners as they appear....?
  2. My word yes I care about cornering!

People who bag cruisers for cornering tend to fall into the same kind of mis-informed tripe which is leveled against harleys. IE; if they haven't owned one, then they should shuit their trap.

Does a cruiser, even a 'middie' (Boulie, Vulcan, corner like an R1? No. But that's not the right question.

Does it bother me? Not even a little.

Why? Because cornering on a cruiser is still damn fun. It's different, it's sometimes a challenge, but it still rocks.
  3. The M50 is one choice. The Ducati Duarvel (sp?) is another.

There are feet forward cruisers, and roadster type cruisers. There are cruisers that are really just standards with a bit of style to them - they have pretty much conventional motor bike geometry. The Triumph Thruxton comes to mind. If what you want is a cruiser type bike that can be cornered and hustled, that's not out of its comfort zone in the twisties, I think the Thruxton is worth a look.

A lot comes down to what the rider can do. I've seen outlaws on chops who can't ride for peanuts - and others who are damn good and surprisingly fast. I've seen chops that can't be leaned over any more than they would be on the side-stand, and others that can go over a surprisingly long way. Combine experience and rider skill, commitment and determination, local knowledge, a big worked Harley motor, and a seemingly unsuitable chassis which still has a fair bit of cornering clearance, and you can have a very surprising package indeed.
  4. i had a M50 now a shadow.. i find the shadow way better around corners even tho they are the lowest cruiser chassis. the shadow seems to be alot lighter and easy to chuck into corners.. i believe cornering on cruisers is something that i would only look at in a bike.. any bike can go straight...
  5. This is no cruiser, but it's not a sports bike either. It's a naked / streetfighter, but I promise, it'll be an absolute weapon in the twisties. (And pretty much anywhere else you want it to be, come to think of it.) The riding position would be a bit sports-bike from the waist down (but not all that much) and almost like a standard or a dirtbike from the waist up.

About the only thing it couldn't do comfortable is long distance high speed work - not so much because the bike can't but because the rider can't. No wind protection. In helping you to keep your license, that may actually be a good thing.
  6. I love my cruiser (Yamaha XVS1100 classic) for the long open road, and throwing it into a corner just adds to the fun. However, it is no sports bike. It does go around corners, but the foot plates are not really suited to scraping around the twisties. But if I ride with a sports bike, I am not usually the first to get off. My lounge chair seat is comfy for 2-3 hours non-stop and fuel stops become the issue, not bum-stops.

As for wind protection, who needs it? The speed limit is 110km/h, and I am not going to lose my licence and get the bike locked up for a month in a moment of rashness. If I wanted to go faster, I would go to Barbagallo racetrack and get a decent sports bike.
  7. Rode the 2011 Speed Triple, had a riding position similar to my GS500 (changed a few bits to make it fit me). Evil engine, loved those blue flashing lights.

Anyway. Love cornering my cruiser. It is a Harley, but they really aren't that in the corners. Plenty of faster bike, but not why I bought it. Found I had to bump up the rear pre load, turns out that the exhaust mounts scape at the same point as the peg feelers if your accelerating in the corners.
  8. had a customer come in the other day that i was talking to, he was having a hard time finding tyres for his harley, as they kept spinning or didnt have the grip and he was finding himself sideways into corners on the spur:p
  9. Heavy bikes that people want a lot of km out of the tyres, your gonna lose something.
  10. by no means do i got 'fast' around corners. my first group rides were with sport bike riders, who measure the size of their balls by how small the chicken strips are.....not my scene at all.

it just that the hills where i live and ride are very twisty. having a bike that goes around corners without scraping, is a basic safety need for me. if i scrapped the bike going around what i consider a 'normal' corner, i would not enjoy my rides, and start wondering if i am going to get thrown off at some stage. not what you want going through your mind on a nice cruise.
  11. I think you mean the Bonneville...

The Thruxton is emphatically not a cruiser...
  12. The Thruxton is a current production bike, that echoes and reproduces the style and flavour and DNA of a 1960's brit big bike cafe racer. In terms of geometry and layout, it's pretty close to a standard. It should ride and corner and handle like a standard bike, not a chopper, not a full dress touring bike or a bagger.
  13. The speed master handles ok. Same for the California.
    Cruisers are not that bad. Ground clearance being the big issue.
    If it's limits are lower you speeding ticket should reflect that :)
    It doesn't matter what it is. The point is to wring it's neck ha ha.
    ps Followed a 48 down the back of Malaney the other week. Someone should have told him they don't handle. Cause my Gay Viffer was not happy at being pushed so hard to keep up.
    And he had ape hangers. And absolutely no style at all. He had a big heart and no fear though.
  14. Big cruisers will corner, some even well, but they have to be hustled or muscled around them.

Tyre profile has a lot to do with thIs as well.
    My m109 corners easier with a Pirelli night dragon than a metzeler, and wat better than the eom Dunlop.
  15. You say these Pirellis corner better than the metzelers...
    How do they compare in terms of price?
    Grip in the wet?

Putting Metzelers on my M50 gave me a whole new bike, and if there's BETTER out there, you've certainly got my attention.
  16. My cruiser has never sc****d but then I'm a lightweight. I prefer twisties but I like to go my own cruisy pace, usually I have sports bikes flying up behind so I always pull over and let them go, so am always looking out for faster bikes sitting right behind which takes the enjoyment out of it a little. I'm not fast over twisties but I love them anyway. Am much faster on the open country roads, my bike seems to like that better too.
  17. Buy yourself a big bore single lung 'Tard. Best of eveything. Out corner sports bikes. Makes that potatoe potatoe noise the cruiser freaks seem to fall over themselves for. Similar top speed. Pillion accomodation is better. Vibrates, shakes and rattles much the same. As an added bonus, you can pull wheelies, stoppies, jump cuebs and do all that awesome stuff that chicks and school kids love to watch. Win win win my friend.
  18. In a perfect world I'd have one of each I love my sportbike in the hills on a weekend, but when I need to travel a couple hundred ks down the highway I'd rather stab myself in the eye. And I'm always wishing I had a cruiser for that.
  19. The profile is rounder, with less flat in the centre, so requires less muscle to corner. (assumption)
    First Nightdragon was $240 fitted, which for a 240 width tyre is cheap.
    Unfortunately two weeks ago, they had cleared all their overstock issues it seems, and price was closer to $400 fitted. Gap Narrowed to the Metz.
    Metz did seem to bald in the centre well before same distance on Pirelli.
    Mileage - did 9000 on std dunlop, averaged 12000 on metzeler, and changed pirellis at 11500klm, with probably another 1500 summer klm left if you were really tight. Since I had to replace the front (24000 klm from the Metz) decided to do both at the same time. No Pirelli in the right size, so stuck with the Metz on the front. Considering the rain we have had recently, am happy I have new tyres. Grip in the wet is very good, am confident enough to grind pegs in the rain with the Pirelli. only occasionly felt that way with the Metzz, and NEVER with the DUnlop.

Worthwhile to change sometimes, you can always change back.
    Pirelli also feels more surefooted when there is loose gravel/dirt on the road.
    Again, subjective only.
    • Like Like x 2