Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cornering is where the action is

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Jan 13, 2009.

1. It gets discussed here a fair bit, so I think we know the overall picture: of multivehicle accidents involving bikes, smidsy is the main culprit, but there are more single vehicle than multivehicle accidents. The notion that a large proportion of the single vehicle accidents involved cars that later drove away has been largely discredited - a few might but the majority are true single-vehicle prangs. It really only requires being a regular reader of this forum to bear that out - what is the majority drop reported? Too hot into a corner.

So, to improve the stats dramatically, the focus needs to be on cornering. Slowing down enough - too much is better than not enough - before entering, accelerating gently through, looking through, and if you *have* gone in a little hot, hanging on and going through the corner rather than trying to stand it up and brake.

I don't mean to pick on the 'flying pig' guy, but again, if you've almost lost it doing a 35 k corner at 60 then you do the next one at 40 if you're trying to build skills, not 60 again!

The general message about roadcraft and being responsible for your own safety is crucial, but it's even more so in the case of cornering, because it really is kinda all on the rider.

2. i would put people grabbing the brake lever to hard or not using the correct brakes on par with your cornering argument, so many people do it its not funny.

3. +1 to Bravus.

I would add that the best way to reduce your risk is training training training.

For those who are skeptical, think of it like this: When on a training day you corner harder and faster than you do on the road, with greater lean angles and so forth.

What this means is that if you find yourself too hot into a corner out on the road, you now have the EXPERIENCE to look further and lean deeper into that corner, and come out the other side on a light throttle going 'Wooooooohooooooooo', rather than loosing your nerve, looking at the side of the road and coming out of the corner in the back of an ambulance going 'WeeeeooooooWeeeeeeooooooWeeeeeooooooo'...

Catch my drift?

Seriously people, don't spend that couple of hundred on an exhaust, spend it on an intermediate / advanced course. How many times does it have to keep you upright to be worth it? :?:

4. True, but my guess is that unless that's done in corners it *usually* doesn't cause as many prangs, and particularly fatals. It's part of the cornering issue. It's also a more general riding skills problem, I agree, and something that needs a lot of attention (and has had a lot of attention here, particularly in relation to back brake usage ;)), but in terms of actual accident stats I'll stand by my contention that it's by paying attention to cornering (including all its facets) that we could have the biggest and quickest impact (antipun not intended).

5. I am still a new rider and as a newbie when I try a corner and I think I am a little 'hot' my first reaction is to brake so I have think no just hold on.

I am still getting used the bike and the tyres, with that the way I am approaching corners is if it's a road that I haven't been on before (on a bike car doesn't count) I will do the corner at the recommended speed to try to get feel for it. The next time I travel that road I am a little more confident and understand the corners a bit more and I am will to go a little faster. But I try not to increase by more then 5km/h from what I did last time.

If I don't remember the corner then I will go around close the recommended speed.

I feel (for me at least) that this is the best way that I can understand the bike and conering.

6. +100, you got your head screwed on the right way

7. Thanks, I am just simply in no hurry. I enjoy riding and don't think I would enjoy crashing as much

8. With cornering Im a bit slow cause I get worried about it sliding out especially like you go around a corner hard, little do you know theres a bump in the road. next sec could be gg.

The first time that woke me up to this was on my L's riding hard down thru the hill areas of double bay, there was this kink in the road (its a fukn huge one) and almost flung me off my seat and the back wheel slid out but I caught it in time. I do go quicker around corners I know tho and thru the national park cause I ride there a lot and did so to learn how to ride with some experienced friends.

9. I feel like I'm stealing the training schools' thunder here ('coz I am), but I tell you true that the best way to get people to set their entry speed right is to take away their brakes!.

In a manner of speaking, brakes are only good for three things: stopping (which you don't want to do in a corner), emergencies (which you hope you don't want to do in a corner) and racing (which you don't want to be doing on the road, at least until you have done it on the track).

Try it. Try riding without using the brakes. I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised. You'll find yourself setting your speed earlier, with throttle and gears like you should have been doing in the first place.

10. Id fully recommend a Advanced stay upright cornering course, u will gain so much confidence in your cornering youll kick yourself u didnt do it earlier

11. hehe! Sums it up nicely don't it!?

12. Problem with me is my speedo doesn't work so I never seem to know if i'm going at the recommended speed or not :?

hopefully get it fixed once the mechanic gets my new set of dials in :LOL: :p

It's been a dodgy month! :LOL:

I must say though when i first hopped on the Firestorm it was like my skills took a nose dive... I was gripping the tank like mad in corners and not shifting my weight properly :roll: i think the fear of the machine inhibited me alot initially but after riding it about for a bit and realising that it wasn't going to spit me off at the slightest descrepancy, I think my ridings gone back to normal... well a bit different as on my last bike i was sitting upright and now im hunched over.

been looking at the advanced courses for Feb/March, do you guys recommend i do the intermediate or advanced stayupright course? Ideally i want to do both but my cashflow isn't as wonderful as i'd like it to be.

I was thinking of more the advanced as it looks like it focuses more on posture and the "what to do" opposed to the mentality behind safe riding. I know i'll probably get something out of both courses but from what i read on the site, the advanced course is what im looking for.

I don't really want to skip ahead steps though and be left in over my head so....advices??? :grin:

btw you guys are awesome!

and beautiful to boot! :LOL:

13. On a side note,

With the adv courses...

The adv braking or the skills development?

I was thinking the braking and cornering because thats what i perceive to be the most "life saving" and integral skill for a motorcyclist to have.

Thanks again guys :grin:

14. Not4Resale, I think each type of course is going to be an advantage. If you're are looking to do multiple ones. You could try calling the places that offer them and seeing if you book for multiples if there is a discount they could give you.

It may mean you have to wait longer for the courses but you save money.

15. At the Motorcycle Safety Summit last year, the presentation on the NSW cornering campaign by Dr Patricia Bryant of the RTA received an excellent reception from the riders present.

[​IMG]

It made a significant change from the usual "speed speed speed" mantra.

16. $260 for the intermediate

$390 for adv skills

$400 for adv cornering

I have to do it in stages, i'm just referring to which i do first and foremost. Next time ill be able to afford another might be in 6 months so i want the most relevant stuff first :wink:

Or i could sell a kidney and do it all at once :grin:

17. do your advanced skills 1st to prepare yourself for the advanced cornering course

18.  Top
  19. Thanks man, i'm in NSW though and they only seem to have limited courses available here. :oops:

Any other recommendations for good riding schools?

20. Thankyou Tony :applause:

I've lost count of how many riders I've been behind who are trying to get from point a) to point b) quickly and don't end up at point c)
    But rather than slow down and reset their entry position, they push on until the corners come rushing at them as they get in deeper and deeper until they're in over their heads.

That's a neat diagram and a cool link, so i pinched them :wink: