Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cornering......how do u's do it..?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Stimson, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Went for a squirt on my new FZ6 on the weekend, been road riding for about 500km worth, dirt bike experiance prior. Went up through Mt Nebo-Mt Glorious area west of Brisbane. I think I could have done that circuit alot quicker in my car. I dunno, i just can't seem to corner like you more experianced folk. I think i'm still in a car mode and see the corner for car speed and not bike speed. IMO i'm better (more comfortable) up hill than down hill cornering. Still trying to trust my tyres will actually stick to the bitumen. Got over taken by a couple of bikes and they seem to effortlessly wiggle throught the corners....

I guess it takes awhile to used to it. Any suggestions to ease my discomfort or any tecniques i can practise....?
  2. Plenty of good info on here, if you run a search.

As a fellow n00b to it all though - it's all about saddle time. I'm slowly getting more confident with my cornering, increasing my lean angle and speed a little more every day through the roundabouts on the way to work :p

Getting some new tyres on monday too, so will start testing it out a bit more...
  3. Doi, get more experience!
  4. damn jared :LOL:

i see that as the biggest problem with q ride and qld, no experience on the road, reasonably powered bike, and no ability to ride it

the biggest problem you will be having is carrying your dirt riding technique onto the road on a road bike, look where you want to go, point chin in that direction and slighty move upper body inside the corner, this will help you with counter steering as you will automatically do it.

also relax your grip on the bars, if you hold on tight, and bumps on the road will be transfered through the bars, giving you a jerky movement through the curves as you (without trying) put pressure on and off the bars
  5. don't get me wrong, i'm no fool, i ride within my limits, regardless of the power that lies beneath me, and like to learn at a controlled rate. Just quizzing more experinanced riders as to how to tackle my cornering issues so i can be a safer rider and proactive in my learning. I wish to avoid the common mistakes od newbies......
  6. My tip for the day; when you come into the corner, get on the throttle as soon as your lean angle is established (as early as possible) and constantly (and smoothly) bring on the throttle through the turn. Note this is different to exiting the corner where you bring on the power gradually yet strong.

Throttle changes the weight distrubution to a more ideal ratio and makes the bike alot more stable. Go around a corner with constant throttle, then do it again whilst increasing the throttle throughout it and you'll have proven it to yourself.

Also read twist of the twist 2 or similar.
  7. low angle lean and knee downs will come through time + experience.

dont force the knee down coz it'll feel very unstable. once you've perfect the cornering for a while the knees will come out automaticaly.
  8. yeah i'm not saying you aren't or anyothers are, but the qld gov has seen there is a problem and (so i heard on the grapevine) will be bringing in restrictions to 250cc motorcycles, (when other govs are moving to LAMS), whilst most people don't go out to do stupid shit and push their limits, it's easier to cock something up witha bike that will throttle on hard with the slightest movement of the right wrist.

follow the other points in my above post and just practice, and remember to work on body positioning, where on the dirt you would keep ypur perpendicualr to the road and lay the bike over, on the road you need to lean in with the bike
  9. yep, got the slow in fast out bit down pat, i select my gear and speed before i enter the turn and lean and am on the throttle throughout the turn, be smooth etc.........comfortable about all that.
    just mentally learning how fast i am able to take the turn i struggle with. just think to bike will slide away beneath me.
    comfortable with taking corners when the speed limit is 80km/hr+
  10. I've been riding so long, I dont even remember exactly how I corner.
    Experience is the key ;)
  11. +1 to Twist of the Wrist 2.

Best technical book for how to ride a race track, but very applicable to road riding
  12. Stimson, Mount Glorious is not an easy road, although the surface and the general alignments of the corners make it a very rewarding ride that can done briskly and safely. There are bits that after a good few years I treat with respect and others where you can really enjoy throwing the bike about a bit, even at the posted limit.

Trusting the traction of your bike is the essence of motorcycling. Since bikes are made for corners, you have to trust that the bike 'knows' more about stability than you do; many crashes are caused by riders fighting the bike's actual and extensive ability to hold on through some surprisingly hot turns. When in doubt, try steering!

I'm being flippant, but taking control and making the bike do its thing smoothly and accurately works, as all those of us who have had a near miss by losing faith mid-corner and trying to stand the thing up and stop can attest.

You must discipline yourself to look through the corner, not at it. You need to mentally ride the whole corner, not the section from where you are to the apex. It can transform your cornering if you can get into the habit. It also helps fight target fixation, which is usually the reason for mid-corner panic and subsequent bad decisions. 'Look there, push there, go there' requires looking at where you want to finish up, not at all the bad places that you might otherwise go. After many years on bikes I sometimes still have to make myself look at the whole corner, so its not a newbie mistake, just a skill that has to be applied all the time.

Late apexing (holding a wider line so that you get maximum visibility around the turn) helps a lot too.

It sounds like some advanced rider training might be good for you, and if you want to go for a ride sometime, I'm happy to offer whatever advice I can[1].

You have a very capable bike that can deliver you safely to your destination. It sounds as though you need to build some trust in what it can do.

[1] Standard disclaimer: I am not an instructor, merely a long-time rider who's had lots of instruction and tries very hard to apply it.
  13. It's a new surface, you'll just have to work it out. Stay smooth and hook in behind someone if you can. Coming from dirt, it's a big jump to the amount of grip, but you should be able to get to 90% pretty quickly, then sneak up on the last 10%.

(I am guessing you're probably a pretty good rider already?)
  14. :roll: I've been riding 36 years and I havent dragged a knee yet.

Maybe I should be on a CBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

OP Practice and practice again. I dont think you're bike is ideal but its your choice. You're dirt brain will take time to overcome.

Read this slowly: You're tyres, suspension and brakes are much better than you are so trust them :wink:
  15. Just take it eeeeeeeasy dude, don't push yourself. Talk through what you're seeing and doing on the bike into your lid, pay attention, work out patterns, read a lot, talk to other riders a heap, do courses, watch racing, ride lots and lots of kays at a controlled, safe pace and slowly, slowly your speed will come.

It's all in your head, that's what you have to work on.
  16. I suggest practice your cornering, read the threads within this site and then practice some more............Big Tip!! - forget the knee down trip!
    If you are hanging off the bike to the extent that you need to have the knee down as well you are truly on the limits of bike and rider on a public road :shock:
    and if something jumps out and surprises you you will have nowhere to go mate, you are already on the edge.
    Practice your lines, practice countersteering, practice looking thru the corners and practice moving your body to the inside of the bike but personally......dont go to the edge unless you're on a track.

17. Do a course. That way the instructor can see what you are doing. Reading everyone's hints will be helpful but nothing beats having a professional watch you.

Practice within your own limits.
  18. My tip is to forget about the "g" for a while and find a nice quiet country road with a few good corners on it and practice getting one corner right at a time. By this I mean set up early do all the good things ride around the corner and have time to self analyze before the next corner, correct any flaws in your last corner and repeat until it is second nature and you don't have to think about it as such. Then it is time to tackle the more challenging roads. If you were a good dirt bike rider then this won't take very long and you won't be exposing yourself to as many idiots while you are getting the hang of it.
  19. thanks for the input everyone, i'll take on board your suggestions and get out there and practise.

I'm in the process of getting a copy of the twist of the wrist book and will look into doing some advanced training also.

As for comments on bike choice, well, u've got to start somewhere. Throughout the threads comments of try them all and pick the bike you like and feel most comfortable on. FZ6 was my choice. I may change flavours as I gain experiance. I guess it's like rum and bourbon drinkers, they usually dislike the other flavour however they both get you p!ssed and you have a great time with your mates.
    By the way, I actually drink either.....
  20. TOTW2 is great, but won't help you until you're already fairly competent.

Get out and riiiiiide.