Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cornering for Normal People!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by johnmoz, Sep 1, 2012.

1. The cornering bible thread has gone way above my head so I thought I'd start a thread for us mere mortals...

I've developed a simple little 'mind trigger' which has already helped me a couple of times when I think I'm about to have a 'moment':

Relax
    Look
    Lean

Relax is obvious and helps every time. Look through the corner to where I want to be. Lean with the bike, for me this helps with countersteering, too.

It obviously doesn't cover everything, nor is it high level, but it's enough for me to get back on track which then releases some brainpower to deal with things like throttle control etc. It's already helped me turn 'oh sh!t' into 'woo hoo' a few times.

Just putting it out there...

Cheers
    JM

• Like Like x 1
  2. sanchoo john - Glad I'm not the only one feeling a tad overwhelmed with the bible thread... When I eventually upgrade to a big girls bike, I'll definately be re-reading the entire thing

(y)streetmaster

3. How will you know you have cornered right? Just asking.

We all have the same goal. To get through the corner with a bit of speed and style.
    So if you get through the corner, does that mean you pass?

I see lots taking one, two three bites at a corner.....Bad focus. Bad basics.

So to get through a corner at road sign speeds. For this I am not hanging off the side, but I'm still moving around in my seat a little. Helps the bike turn with less weight through the bars...less weight/less effort.

1. Yes relax. The tighter you are on the bike the heavier it will be. And harder to turn.

2. Set up early. Don't move around too much on the bike when you are on the lean.
    Do not turn in till you can see well into the corner.
    Get your braking over and done with before you tip in.

3. Now you are ready to take the corner.
    Are you set up right? Weight forward so you feel the front wheel.
    Hips slightly rotated into the corner. So when you move your weight forward, your torso naturally leans into the inside of the bike a little, aiding turn.
    Eyes on the apex. AND EYES LEVEL WITH THE ROADS SURFACE! Bend zee friggen neck gumbies. This will help you lean more than anything else. Eyes level means you have some sort of balance.

4. Now it's Mr Throttle control.
    I have the bike on a lean..it's feeling good. I am set and comfy..well in balance. My eyes are locked onto the apex and all is good.
    If I am turning too sharp, I slowly roll on some throttle to move the front wider. It will move out. Or if I have over stepped it a little and need to turn sharper. I roll down on the throttle. Very small and easy movements with the throttle.
    I'm not going to sit the bike up or drag it lower.
    The throttle will do all this without upsetting the bike. If you start screwing with lean angles it will look like your a noob and the bike just might get the shoites with you.

5. Just before I perfectly nail my apex, My eyes come up to my next marker. Which usually will be up the inside of the exit. EVEN THO I WILL FLOW WIDE TO THE OUTSIDE IN MOST CASES, MY EYES STAY INSIDE
    If you have got everything right before this stage then it is just a matter of rolling on the throttle. Just slowly enough so the bike picks itself up and I stay in my lane.
    It really is a wonderful feeling getting it all right. Passing the apex inside and the roll on of throttle lifting the bike upright and drifting you out and up the strait.

So we have a few things we have to think about and do.
    It's the linking if these bits that makes us a better rider. The bridges between. Like when your playing a song and those little riffs in between verse and chorus that make you sound the great player or just a hack.

Get your basics down pat. Little things like your eyes, turning the hips in. Keeping your hands soft. They are where you mind should be at this stage in your riding. When the good basics are subconscious it's time to think of more advanced techniques.

• Like Like x 3
  4. The thing that made a big difference to my cornering was using a turning marker. Coming into a corner I pick a spot on the road and turn when I get to it. (Level 1 at CSS). If you get the corner entry to be consistent then everything else follows.

5. Bretto you've gone to a lot of effort to put that together, it's good stuff (for some reason or other my browser won't nod...). I've read the cornering for noobs, totr & watched the video, all this is information I'm taking in and using to my ability.

I've driven very fast cars around racetracks very fast, I know how a set of corners feels and flows when you nail it, and I'm getting that feeling multiplied by 100 on the bike. I seem to be able to, even now, happily take most corners at around 50% above the advisory. In many cases I can more than double it in the M3, that's my aim on the bike...

The whole point of what I was trying to do with my little 'relax look lean' thing was reduce all that information overload and give my ageing brian something to revert to when I'm chopping washers and SR's look like kicking in, simply because I'm too new to this to have consistently tuned out the SR's. Once I've loosened the sphincter a little my brain can take over again and normal service can resume.

I love this place, so many wise heads willing to freely give of their experience. Never let it stop.

Cheers
    JM

6. When you go out, just focus on getting one thing right at a time.
    Then just build on that next time & the next. :)
    No use trying to do it all at once. Information overload!!
    Baby steps & you'll get there!!! (y)

• Like Like x 2
  7. 2 tricks / sayings work for me:

1. Look; Lean; Push (how to control your inputs to the bike)
    2. Start wide; Stay wide; Set up the next corner (how to control your line)

8. That's it Streetmaster, on the bike I'm at the other end of the spectrum to where I've been in most things for a good few years and baby steps don't come easy, I'm more of a 'Lets get in and get this right from start to finish, NOW' sort of bloke.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying it immensely, I'm having more fun doing this than I've had doing anything for a very long time. I can thoroughly recommend retirement as a lifestyle :D

Edit:
    the_blacke, that's exactly what I'm needing, simple and concise, I'll take them on. I'm finding that the push ie counterseering has been a completely automatic part of the lean so far.

Cheers
    JM

9. An important thing to remember is visibility. Somtimes it may be preferable to take a less than ideal line through a corner if it gives you a better chance to see through it - or for you to be seen by others. You might not go as fast, but at least you'll be able to try the same corner again sometime.

Don't make the mistake of focusing so much on the corner that you forget to look for those little clues that might warn of a hazard up ahead (animals, dirt/gravel, slow moving vehicles, potholes, etc, etc). You should find this will also reduce the number of "oh shit" moments.

• Like Like x 2
  10. A series of videos was put up on YouTube a few days ago that gives you the visual of everything being typed here.

It's very good and helps put everything into perspective

Mike Waite is an Ex-Police motorcycle instructor.
    He is teaching civilians the Police advanced riding system.

It's about 40mins all up. To see all parts, click here

• Like Like x 1
  11. +lots

The essence of cornering is not to go fast; the essence is to be precise.

Being able to identify the best line for the circumstances
    Being able to put the bike on that line without having to make corrections
    Being able to set the corner up - right gear, right speed, right line, right body position

But above all, the essence is to be smooth. Smoothly get the bike into the right gear and at the right speed. Smoothly move your body into the right position. Smoothly tip into the corner. When you're smooth and precise, being able to take a corner quickly is just a natural outworking.

In short, good cornering is like good sex: when you're seductively smooth, precise, deliberate and in control, she will do anything you ask of her ;)

12. That's gold SMA, much more applicable to our level than TotR in my opinion. I wish I could nod!

Don't get me wrong people, I am focussed on smoothness and feel not speed and numbers, just that the numbers give me a guide until I'm better at judging my own (not the bikes!) capabilties.

Cheers
    JM

• Like Like x 1
  13. That's what I thought as soon as I started watching John - I think twist of the wrist is a great video to watch, but that's something I'm just not ready for.(even if I had a sport bike and not me l'il MadAss).

Suburbia riding is where I'm at, with only 2 trips to the 'skirts under my belt.

Cheers, Lee

I nodded for ya lol...

14. Best practiced alone, and in the country? :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  15. :rofl:

Since today is Fathers' Day, I think the answer to that is DEFINITELY!!!

And never neglect your lube ;)

16. Haha I've just this minute lubed and now I'm off for a ride to practice some...

Yeh I forgot. Happy Fathers day to all the kindred spirits. We're off to a country pub for lunch, my learner daughter will be driving her car, supervised by her boyfriend, her learner father will be riding his bike.

Cheers
    JM

17. Well almost, but the point is valid.

18. What is it about the noob cornering threads that isn't doing it for you Johnmoz?