Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cornering for cruisers....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Raid, Oct 16, 2012.

1. I have been following the thread by SpottedNinja--Body Cornering position, as I rode with him last sunday...and also to learn whatever info available....

I have read and re read Cornering 101s, etc,by Robsalv and continue to follow any cornering threads.

But from what i can gather with the threads about cornering, the OP is a sports rider......

I know that Cornering 101s, etc are applicable to cruisers as well, yeah?

But as far as other advice about leaning and body positioning, particularly the recent thread by SpottedNinja (Body positioning)....are they even applicable to cruisers?.....I mean, i know that the 'knee down" part should be disregarded....but everything else is applicable?

Are there experienced cruiser riders out there that can give advice or start a thread about cornering for cruisers?

So far, i am doing ok with my cornering, even the twisties, but would love to hear other cruiser riders' thoughts on cornering....cheers
  2. Lines and throttle control for cornering are very applicable to cruisers. Body position less so, they have quite restricted lean angles anyway, you'll scrape the pegs before getting close running out of tyre in most situations.
  3. Still no reason you cant move your butt over and create some weight inside the bike to help it get around.
    So many cruisers I see almost counterbalance around corners. They lean the bike...but they don't lean....others look ram rod strait on one..all the way to the top of their helmets.
    Cruisers usually have a ton of engine braking...a ton... being able to hold a nice line with your throttle is important....wash off too much speed and you will find cagers right up your butt mid corner...not an attractive sight or place to be
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Are these alright? When i lean the bike, i usually lean with it as well....and by moving the butt over, do you mean as in move my butt to the direction of the lean?

Attached Files:

5. Hello again...met you up Malaney.
    Yeha no good haha. Head good, you still have plenty of lean left if needed.
    It's if say you do scrape. You can slide across the seat a bit and have more weight inside. This allows the bike to be sat up a bit without sacrificing the radius your on
  6. I used to ride my cruiser as if it was a sportsbike.........everything was applicable albiet modified to suit. Some even think i look more comfortable riding the twisites on the cruiser than by sportsbike...............

Body positioning is IMO more important since you dont have much peg clearance to begin with......get used to scraping those pegs.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. My dad used to tell me my uncle used to bounce around corners with sparks flying on his Golden Flash. That was with my dad on the back.
  8. From my limited cruiser experience I've found that the "quick flick" that we talk about on sportsbikes is extremely important. Taking those wide lazy lines eats up ground clearance, you just deck the boards/pegs the whole way round the bend. If you stay out wide and snap it over it quickly you get the thing pointed which means you don't need as much lean (ground clearance) for the remainder of the corner which frees you up to nail it through the corner.

9. So i slide towards the lean?
  10. It's exactly the same principles.

The difference is in the:
    * Weight/breaking time (cruisers tend to be heavy mongrals)
    * Location of that weight
    * Front rake

I think if anything the bike makes correct cornering more important, however cruiser riders tend to push their rides a lot less in my experience.

Oh, and the accessories can be a danger. Ie; some highway bars can touch the ground fairly early. Get it wrong and you can leaver the wheels off the ground.... that's not good.
  11. I ride my M109r the same as my Z1000 e.g. I put my body into the corner, arse half off the seat into the line of the corner. It gives you more lean angle as the bike is turning. Speeds are slower on the M but the theory is the same. I use all the available tyre tread but because I am leaning off the seat I can go round the bend faster as my body is assisting, not resisting the turn. I don't understand why some cruiser riders just sit like a sack of spuds in the seat and expect the bike to do all the work.
  12. Careful with that slide. From what I've found, sliding back can be a biatch and can really unsettle the bike. I've discovered that planting my feet on the boards (pegs) and lifting up to move around is fine, but actually sliding in the seat is a prick of a thing. When I'm cornering, I lift up a bit, move my body where I need it to be, then move back when I'm done before I sit down again.

EDIT: Cruiser riders feel free to correct me if I'm doing it wrong.
  13. Yep that's how I do it, no sliding -it takes too long and does unsettle the bike, you only need to lift a couple of mills not the full Randy Mamola (put that in there for us old farts who remember him hanging off with one foot 4 inches off the outside peg).
    • Like Like x 1
  14. What you mean Land Yachting?
  15. Thought you'd chime in sooner or later.
  16. Sorry for the off topic comment, but if anyone wants advice on cornering - Cockrocket knows his stuff, he's the only guy I know who can get his ELBOW down on a roundabout whilst riding a Versys.
  17. I'd LOVE advice on cornering on a cruiser... but his name's "cockrocket" LOL
  18. I'll let him explain that one to you.
  19. It's a play on words. However everything I ride is a rocket! Yes it is true, I managed to get the elbow down on a round about with a 2-Wheeled landrover.
  20. Well, you do come recommended by Orinoco Womble...