Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cornering Courses for semi new riders... Near melbourne

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by StereoHead, Jan 9, 2006.

1. a close friend of mine has been riding for about 2 years, she has stayed at the same level for cornering for quite some time...

I know she can do better because I have gone for great rides on her, but then on other days she is slow and uncomfortable..

I am looking for a good cornering course near melbourne...

Superbike school may be a bit too extreme aswell as being far away...

Any suggestions?
  2. I think HART do one
  3. This is off their website, not sure if it exactly what you are looking for
  4. Trust me - the level 1 Superbike School course isn't particularly extreme. I'm not a particularly experienced rider, and I got a great deal out of it.

It is down at PI though, which as you say could be inconvenient.
  5. If she can comfortably corner at a reasonable speed (at recommended and above) then superbike school would be fine. Level 1 will give her a heap of skills that will make a considerable difference to her cornering. There is no pressure to go superquick, more emphasis on cornering well. The going quicker bit naturally comes with cornering correctly.
  6. In relation to the HART level 10, I did mine a number of years ago at Calder; v close to city. On my last enquiry, they had moved it to Broadford.
    Another possibility is to ring Champions Ride Days and ask about their track day tuition. They conduct track days at Winton and Broadford in Vic. And a recent sms sugested something happening this month.
  7. HART haven't run a level 10 in a long time, their aging fleet of maliciously abused (by me) Hornets are no longer really up to the job of getting hammered around a racetrack.

They're talking of upgrading to stripped-down naked CBR600Fs... And now Honda's discontinued those too, so we'll see what happens.

Until they have a new bike fleet, the level 10 is not gonna happen. If and when it does, I'll be there.

Having said that, I found their level 6/7 intermediate course sensational and I'd do it again in a second. Excellent confidence builder, tears your riding down to the basics and builds it back up and gives you the confidence to really start throwing the bike around. Soon as Cheng gets her license I'll be looking to book her in for that one.

The level 8/9 advanced is almost exactly the same as the intermediate, so don't bother with that, I'd personally rather do the intermediate twice.

Then of course there's the superbike school - which I've never done thus far simply because it's so damn expensive. I'm sure it's brilliant, but at $400 plus another $400 if you want to use their bike and gear, it seems like a hell of a lot.
  8. Freudian slips are best avoided.
  9. HAHAHA nicely picked up :)

Oh, and does anyone have the web address for Hart?
  10. The manager of A1 in Brighton was telling me they had a ex motorcycle police trainer doing one-on-one courses that were apparently bloody unreal. Massive confidence booster apparently and motorcyle police training is second to none. Now that I remember it I will have to follow it up, definately sounded ideal at the time.
  11. Ahaha that was a bit of a freudian ****!

Oh! I mean a freudian slit.... slot.... SLUT!

12. If you find out anything, let me know....
  13. Matt, was the manager's name Anthony by any chance?
  14. I have over the years done 2 stay upright courses, 1 of those was at Phillip Island. The other at an air strip.
    Since then I have been to Super Bike School, Doing level 1 & 2. So I think, having done both, gives me a fair idea of what is what.
    There is no doubt in my mind, doing a Stay Upright type course is far more benaficial to newbies & would definatly be good for a lot of older guys as well. There is more to a motor cycle than seeing how fast ya can go.
    A friend of mine who rides & races, has done for the last 45-50 years. Did a Stay Upright. His comment was heavens ( he doesnt swear ) that was great. I thought I could ride a motor cycle
  15. Anthony or Tony; 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
  16. With the rate I move, you'd be better off ringing and chasing it yourself if you are interested.
  17. Thanks Matt.
    I'd heard it on the grapevine.
  18. https://netrider.net.au/linksdir/view.php?cid=14
    Chequered Band Rider Training

People - use the links directory!, it's a wealth of information and has almost 800 links to mostly AUS based businesses. It's search function would have found this for you in a second :)