Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cornering advice

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by raman_ra, Dec 9, 2008.

1. hi all,

This is my first time asking for advice/tips on Netrider, so here goes:

I've been riding for about two weeks and I can pretty more or less handle all of Canberra's roads. However, when it comes to cornering, expecially with sharper ones (e.g. some of the ones up black mountain), I lose confidence and end up taking the turn slower than i probably could. I'm a bit afraid of leaning the bike over too far or having the back end slide out (probably unjustified).

How can I build up my confidence/lean (and hence speed) through corners????

Also, when i'm taking the corner I tend to just follow the road instead of taking a particular line. Is there a line I should follow? Do I visualise some imaginary line and keep my eyes on it?

Lastly, I always take roundabouts really slowly and i only lean the bike a slight amount. How can i go 270 degrees without running wide? Where do i keep my eyes (right now it's sort of slightly ahead of me) ??

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. find an empty car park and ride circles and figures of eight. you have to lean to keep it tight and it translates to the road when you get back out there. just take it easy and it will come.
  3. Take it easy and it will slowly come to you.

It's very much like childhood development where you need to learn how to crawl before walking (very cliche i know)
  4. Practice, practice and practice. You'll look back in 12 months and wont believe how much better you are.
    Ride with others who know what they're doing.
    Ask for a mentor here.
    Trust the bike.
    Practice, practice, practice and ride 3 - 4 times a week if not every day. You wont learn much only riding on weekends.
  5. practice practice practice, as said.

although ive been riding almost 4 months, some right handed corners i find hard (inconsistantly) and when i go on rides through twisties (nothing too much yet) the odd one i mess up a little..

its better to go slowly at first, than to fast n fk something up (though everyone has done it)

i havent ridden with anyone yet :-( i guess i should get round to doing that :D
  6. I am astonished no one has said this yet. 'You go where you look.' If you are looking just ahead of you then that is where you will go. If you want to go around a corner look through the corner and turn in. The further you look ahead, the faster you need to go to maintain your course/balance.

It is easier to practice on simple corners, constant radius and slightly uphill or on level ground.

Do not for a second think you can 'more or less handle' the road after riding for two weeks. You are but a very inexperienced minnow on the road with a huge amount of learning to do. Thinking you can handle it puts in pole position for screwing up due to complacency.
  7. hey all,

thanks for all the replies.
    What I meant by 'more or less handle' was that with respect to cornering, most of the roads were no hassle. i didn't mean to imply that I had mastered them or anything like that.

By the way, do any of the canberra riders know a good carpark to practice in?

8. yep like has been said above, ride through it with your eyes, as you approach a turn really turn your head to start and a look through the turn to where you want to exit. Keep your eyes up and horizontal, and just relax your arms (try just flapping them, this will give you a good feel if they are tense and or holding on to tight as you are setting up for the turn) when i am struggling to find rhythm through turns this is one of the first things i will make myself do on the open road (especially tight down hills runs) and the track.

From there if you have all that, the just think through the process brake in straight line set speed, start your turn holding a steady throttle as you hit the apex accelerate out.

As for roundabouts they are one of those things that big ones are generally fine smallers ones can have quite quite steep off camber and they generally have a build up of oil near them as well, so something else to consider with them.

But practice is the key

Cheers stewy :)
  9. Is the back sliding now? Get an experienced rider to have a look at your tyres, tyre pressures and bike. Making sure everything is good will help your confidence and trust in the machine.

What twistngo said. Do it slowly. Do it until you feel yourself relax and it feels good. You may need to consciously relax your arms and shoulders. Try steering with just one hand (barely hanging on to the bar with the other - you'll be amazed). Then do over and over.

Yes. This is something you really need to have someone show you, but in general, stay on the outside of the corner until you can see the end of the corner in front of you - then you can cut in.

Try to avoid using the brakes in the middle of the corner or roundabout. Get your speed down before the turn and then hold a steady throttle around the bend (for now, anyway). The two most common reasons for running wide are braking during a turn (NOT usually speed!) and looking down. Keep your head UP and look to where you want to go.

It's probably best to set yourself an exercise, go out and concentrate on that for a while, and when you are satisfied, move on to the next one.
    Have fun! :)
  10. Southside and northside. Both car parks have the MOST test marked out (will come in handy for the future, when you want to go for your P's). I find the Kambah carpark to be fairly empty most of the time.

Once you gain more confidence, for a good test, try here
  11. thanks again to everyone for the advice :D - it gives me something to think about next time i'm on the bike.

12. Hey mate,

Check out the Russel carpark just off the big roundabout on Morsehead/Parkes way. It has a really good surface, I spent a fair bit of time on that car park practicing various things.

13. 270 degree is a hairpin. there is only 1 way to do a hairpin. That is slow. No matter how fast you can do it, its still slow.

To quote Keith Code, try to make up time where you can go fast, and not where you cannot.
  14. The search function tells me it's been said before. Many times.

And +1 to practice, 3 months time you will feel like your becoming a pro, another 3 months and you will be looking back thinking what a noob you were 3 months ago.

You just keep getting better and better, just keep at it.
  15. +1 All good advice.
    Just adding to 'look where you wanna go' .. use your peripheral vision to keep at check on others wanting to enter the roundabout and take you out.
    This is ok if done for a split second to evaluate the road condtion ( ie pot holes), but your main focus is where you want to go.