Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Corect Technique on Hill Starts

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bmacka67, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Hi all - another Noob here..picked up my new 250 on weekend so still getting use to it...Virago BTW..1 question I have is whats best technique (correct one) for starting off from lights when you have pulled up on a steep hill...I'm thinking left foot down..bike in 1st..right foot on rear and ready to hit throttle for take off..am I right?

2. Load the drivetrain by letting the clutch out a little before you start to release the brake. You can use either brake, in fact I would recommend getting used to using the front, as sooner or later you'll get a cambered hill start where you need to have your right foot down.
  3. re hill starts

thanx Devotard - I think I know how to do it in my head just now getting use to it in practice...no diff. to when I first started driving and trying to do a hill start on Toorak rd near Cloes Head Office!! Except dont have luxury of a hand brake on bike!

4. Yep, same as a car but with two exceptions.

1. You won't fry your clutch as quickly.
    2. It's considerably more unnerving rolling backwards on a bike unless you're used to it.

So ride that clutch, then let the brake off. It'll turn into one fluid movement with practice.
  5. Your OP is correct. Forget the front brake...and use the rear. On steep hills there is no weight on the front tyre...and will not hold you.
  6. yep, the op has it pretty much right, just find that fiction point and be smooth with the throttle and slowly release your brake pressure.

i can see what the other guy is saying about using the front brake if you HAVE to have your right foot down so you dont fall over, but ive never seena road that has an angle that big on it where its not possible for you to have the left foot down. and i think if i had to stop on a such a road i would position myself in a way where i can put my left foot down.
  7. keep maintaining the power with clutch & throttle
  8. If you exercise a bit of control over your clutch and throttle you don't need to bother with rear brake 99% of the time - even here in Sydney which has lots of steep inclines. (and that applies to driving manual car as well)... you might say it's harder to exercise this 'proper control' - I say it's actually easier than coordinating the same action with additional complication of hand/rear brake.
  9. There's plenty of places, driveways in particular, where you wouldn't have your right foot on the peg. It's probably just 2nd nature to most to use the front brake and you wouldnt even notice.

Not enough grip on the other hand??? Most serviceable gravel roads have enough grip for front brake hill starts, so who knows what's going on there?
  10. so if using your front brake on a hill start, would u have two fingers on the brake lever and the rest on the throttle, or just be really quick between letting off the brake and applying throttle?
  11. You're twisting the throttle while the brakes are still on. I only ever use one finger on the brake anyway, but just use what you normally use. Same as blipping while braking, but different. :wink:
  12. The more I think about how I do it, the more confused I get :) But I'm pretty sure I hold the brake with some of my fingers - two, three, whatever, while at the same time twisting the throttle with the palm of my hand... at the same time letting the clutch up to its take-up point. Then releasing the brake I twist the throttle some more, out with the clutch, decisively but not too quickly either... and I'm off.

13. This is the correct technique, however I find (as stated) because of the weight of the bike being on the rear wheel you're better off applying the rear brake and using that as your "handbrake" - slowly apply throttle and release clutch until you hit friction point, then release clutch more whilst releasing rear brake and applying more throttle.
  14. wait....so what you guys are saying is that it's actuallly possible to ride up a hill????

I'm flabbergastered, I had no idea!!! :LOL:
  15. It is another of those impossible things, until you crack it. :wink:

Find a steep spot in a new housing estate and practise while nobody is looking.