Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cordless Impact drivers. Worth getting?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by natta, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Hi.

Was browsing a tool store and came across a few different brands of cordless impact drivers. I have used a ordinary impact driver the hammer hitting one, and i find it quite a useful tool dealing with rounded screw etc.

Was wondering if these cordless ones are any good? Are they as effective/useful and the manual ones?

Also what brand/models are good?

2. Not exactly sure what you mean, as the 'cordless impact driver' I have is more like a rattle gun than anything.
    Its fantastic for what it is, its a bit like a cordless drill but it can undo/do up insane things. Not as good as a real air powered job, but its more portable. The makita one I use at work is rated to 140NM, Not sure what the biggest thing it could do is, but it has no trouble at all with 100mm baton screws into hardwood. Also used it on wheel nuts with no problems, but that doesn't mean much.

The impact driver which you hit with a hammer (I have one as well) is a different tool completely, so unless they have bought out a new one that I'm not aware of, yeah. It puts a lot of downforce onto what its in, so it won't slip. The cordless jobby can do that as well, if you lean on it really hard. But it really is a different tool. Again, What I have used by that name is more like a rattlegun (It actually has a hammer drive thing inside it, like a rattle gun).

Hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me :p
  3. Cordless impact drivers??

I s'pose that it was only a matter of time before they brought them out.

I wonder when they'll invent a cordless torque wrench, a cordless shifter or a cordless spray nozzle for your garden hose...

4. I use a 'Hitachi' 18volt cordless rattle gun in my service truck. a lot easier than dragging out the air line / rattle gun etc.
    It will easy do most jobs that a ratchet / hand tool will do, even with two battery's it sometimes has trouble keeping up with my demands.

I'll be honest and say I always saw them as a 'gimmick' until I did some work with our local caterpillar field service unit, and saw one in use.
    I went out the next day and got one! :)
  5. Thanks for the replies.

It looks more like a powerful screwdriver. I have a nasty habbit of rounding bolt/screws so thought it might be handy.

I might just buy one and see if i like it. I can see it saving me alot of skinned knuckle thats atleast one benifit.
  6. Yeah, we have them at work too. One of them can rip two hundred odd 24mm bolts off an enclosed conveyor and still have enough mumbo left over to rattle the nuts of two fields of touring cars, as well as the nuts off a herd of elephants...

IOW, brilliant bits of gear...
  7. Yeap, the makita I use is ~6 years old, and still going hard, the original battery's carked it, but new ones are easy to source..
  8. I can only think of one or two bolts on a bike that I'd touch with a rattle gun. If you are thinking of getting one for working on bikes, forget it I say.
    Too many small bolts and castings that are4 easily damaged.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. The one I use at work can be controlled very easily, depending on how much you pull on the trigger it will work less (To the point where its silly, hardly moving in chipboard ect) I have never had any problems with it in regards to damaging things. Due to the size of the hammer inside it, it stops very quickly(From full speed to stop, is near instant, it actually has a brake I think).
    Using it to screw plaster sheet up (Example) you can stop the drill at 1mm depth every time with a standard bit.