Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Cop suspended for reducing speeding fines

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by awseome, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Great. Just what the entire public needs. The removal of discretionary application of the law amongst the citizen police force.

I hope that the Robocop prototype is coming along well. The way is being paved for it.

As that cynical saying declares: "No good deed goes unpunished"
  2. so when will Martial law be instated to protect ourselves from ourselves...... :roll:

What a joke modern society is becoming :(
  3. Jeeeeeeeeesus.
  4. :evil:
  5. There's more to this than we're being told.
  6. So... as this Police Officer isn't really all that credible anymore, that means that ANYONE charged by the officer for ANY offence will have to have the offence stricken from their recored and re-imbursed any money.

Wonder if they'll actually hold to this, or they'll ignore that fact :roll:
  7. Well here is half a story we are not saying everything,we are not going into details,so we will leave it up for speculation :twisted: Put up or shut up :roll: If there were real ethical standards in force our beloved commisioner should be sacked as she could never catch a bad guy on foot,and her health i bet is not up to guide lines,that is if there is any :wink:
  8. Thats retarded. So they're saying 'no its fine you can let people off, but you have to tell us about it' - which is plainly BS, because doing someone for a lesser speeding offence is the only way since you can't give formal warnings..
  9. This will result in more Coppers hating Nixon.
  10. Don't know how much more there is to it really. One of my wife's friends is the wife of a local TMU officer. Related an interesting story from her husband, and this happened quite recently mind you.

An on-duty officer had pulled up an off-duty TMU officer for speeding. The on-duty officer, realising that if he pinged the TMU guy for the full offence that it would likely result in the TMU officer losing his position in the TMU, being suspended and demoted. The on-duty officer chose to use his discretion, warned on the off-duty TMU officer to keep a lid on it, and handed over a reduced speeding offence. The TMU officer then filed an ethical standards complaint against the on-duty officer for perverting the course of justice.

Given that I heard this story within the last month, it makes me wonder if the newspaper article is talking about the same individual.

Seriously though, even if it's a different case, how much of a knob of a c*nt would you have to be to put another officer in the shit after he just did you a favor in likely saving your career? Just goes to show that there are some really anal knobs on the force.
  11. I don't know about coppers, but I know my hate for her has now been encased in stone! She is one hell of a dog!
  12. Was just about to post the same thing - there's definitely something else going on here. Nixon made it QUITE CLEAR that discretion by itself is not a problem. Maybe he was trying to shake down people he caught?

Might come out in the end, but we won't know until the case is done.
    Flux, I actually hope that story is just hearsay. If it's true, it sucks the big one.
  13. Can you blokes imagine what that Nixon sheila must look like , with her clobber off? Pukearama.

14. Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

15. #17 Bluesuede, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    You're in luck. She made a video for you.

16. #18 Seany, Aug 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    With the force getting new guns and going all gangsta, perhaps this is more realistic. :LOL:
  17. I'm not following...

Can't really see what the issue is here. If you get caught speeding WAAAAY past the limit then you might lose your license instantly, but other than that its just varying levels of fines.

If you cant pay fines then dont speed. Is that too hard?

I hate to side with "the man" on this one, but the officer here isn't some saint of mercy. He's probably some dude that dropped fines in exchange for a few phone numbers from female drivers (or vice versa).

Knowing so few facts, its a bit much to slap a martyr brand on this guy and use it as ammunition against the police heirarchy.
  18. Re: I'm not following...

And so with this completely unfounded speculation you are willing to condemn the man. Call off the investigation just hang the man Capn Bodes has spoken…
    He may have just been showing discretion. Now my personal opinion is that discretion should be shown at the bottom end of the scale so it should go from warnings to something nasty dropping the bottom fines off. But that is my opinion, and his might be different…
    If you read through Flux’s comments that sounds more likely… maybe the guy he let off with the lesser fine is used to people just letting him off all together, so is burying the guy for giving him a fine at all? Maybe he is the most moral officer out there for not letting the guy off altogether… but we don’t know we only have some very limited statements that don’t even acknowledge what the exact behavior that has had him suspended and investigated is.