Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cop operating on the Westgate Fwy this morning

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by I'm Simon, Mar 18, 2010.

1. I had a tedious drive into work along the Westgate this morning, made even more tedious by a smash near Montague St that grounded the Fwy to an almost standstill.

A a lone cop had a rider pulled over in the right hand emergency lane and not long after the cop caught up and passed me in the right lane. A few minutes later he had another rider pulled over that had split past me a minute or so earlier. Seems to me that this cop was targetting riders for splitting, you might want to keep an eye out over the next day or so.
  2. They have shown zero tolerance for splitting on all freeways over the last couple of years, so this is just more of the same.
    Just glad I don't need to use freeways these days.
  3. Inbound outbound?
  4. Really???

I've been splitting since I've been riding no problems...

this morning due to that prang I split a full 20+km (according to google maps) no problems... been doing that for some time now too when I sleep in and get the traffic...
  5. Then you just haven't been caught yet. Every so often they mount a blitz specifically on splitting (and specifically on freeways), but in between times they will still pull you if they see you.

Filtering stopped traffic on other roads... depends on what mood they're in.
  6. Inbound probably around 8:15 - 8:30 or so. First one was just past Kororoit Creek Road I think and then just past the ring road merger.
  7. Thanks for the heads up, I'm usually going over the bridge about then, obviously they hadn't made it that far up (y)
  8. Considering a rider killed himself by splitting between 2 trucks a week or so ago is it any wonder they are patrolling. It happened on the westgate freeway.
  9. Hey what's the fine and point's for splitting Now ?????8-[
  10. There is no law against splitting as splitting does not exist in the statutes but there is for illegal overtaking.
    check the politics and law forums for all the details on splitting
  11. Can you send any details on this one? - I missed it.

I know from personal experience that there's a bunch of unmarked cars patrolling the Eastern over the last week.
  12. On my way to work in the car, I noticed an undercover cop on the Ring Rd to Westgate interchange. I work on Kororoit Creek Rd, and I have noticed traffic has gotten way worse over the years and the accident near Montague didn't help traffic flow, it was basically stand still all the way. I think at that time it should be legal to filter, especially when congestion was up to Point Cook bend on the Princess Hwy and up to the McDonalds on the Ring Rd with cars and trucks bumper to bumper.
  13. The Tulla was back to Bell Street at 7:30am this morning.
  14. I got on Tulla at Moreland Road. I normally get off at Docklands exit but today had to go to the Kingsway exit due to work. Traffic was very slow the whole way. I was splitting about 200 metres before the on ramp and all the way to Dorcas Street.
  15. What do you mean "killed himself"? As I understand it, he was splitting between two trucks. One of the trucks clipped his handlebar and he ended up under the other truck. Very unfortunate and most probably not intended.
  16. This is not the forum to make speculation about rider deaths.
    Please keep speculation to yourself.
    These forums do not allow speculation about rider deaths.
  17. Oh c'mon smee, you're the one speculating that he 'killed himself'.
  18. Ok "was killed trying to split between 2 trucks."
    No more speculation, that any better?
  19. either way, naughty corner both of you!