Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cop on assault charges for rope tripping

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by revhead998, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...own-over-assault/story-e6frg13u-1225968251868

AN off-duty police officer has been stood down from duty after being charged with assaulting two teenage boys injured by a bike path rope booby-trap.

The boys, aged 15 and 16, were injured after riding a motorcycle into a rope which the 38-year-old senior constable had allegedly strung across a path at a Karawara park on November 27.

The officer was charged with two counts of assault occasioning bodily harm and one count of performing an act or omission causing bodily harm.

The charges were laid following a police internal investigation.

Police Commissioner Karl O’Callaghan said the officer's actions were “extremely dangerous”.

“It is alleged that the officer had strung up a rope across a path that two trail bike riders were using, and that the rope did actually come into contact with the trail bike riders,” he said.“We have charged the officers based on the information of witnesses, and we’ll just have to see what the courts say.

“It is an extremely dangerous thing to do, and ultimately, it could lead to somebody’s death.”

The officer has been stood down from duty and is due to appear in Perth Magistrates Court on January 4.

2. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

Police also released a statement saying that "speed was a factor" in the near decapitation of several motorcyclists.

Or at least Im waiting for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

The charges of assault, and same with grievous, are correct, but there is an additional one, which seems to be written for exactly this kind of thing, and it's called laying a man trap or something along those lines, and it's roughly the same as attempted murder. I'd like to see that added, because I'll bet quite a lot of money that if two 16yo louts had strung a rope across the road to trap a motorcycle cop on his way to work, that charge or something like it would find its way onto the rap sheet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

Are you ****ing serious? I cannot even put into words what I'm feeling right now.

5. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

he"ll be able to get off, by simply claiming he "broke of his pursuit" prior to the boys hitting his booby trap

6. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

A role model of the public ; a police officer ; a 38 yr old !!!
    Agree with all posters on this !!!
    I hope this cop finds himself in prison, ready to be taken advantage of by the crims of yesteryear, who he sent there and are now his inmates ! Nasty things coming your way, buddy...a wirebrush colon-cleanse, at the very least !
    What a disgrace !!!!

7. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

If he's given a fair trial and found guilty, I suspect his comeuppance will be satisfactory.

8. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

Boggles the mind.

9. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

Yeah mate, the good ol' word 'Karma' comes to mind !

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

I suspect he won't be a police officer for much longer.

11. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

"is-a" v "was-a" won't matter inside.

12. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

unlikely to happen I believe, fine conviction loss of job suspended sentence and the magistrate judge will think this is enough punishment prosecution will use weakest charges possible

13. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

the name of the cop?

14. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

can not be named due to the age of the riders

15. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

Well that's good to know, because I would've jumped to an entirely wrong assumption.

16. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

What? Im asking for the name of the cop not the kids he roped in :)

17. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

Wonder why we haven't seen a post from hornet yet to deny that such ever happened, and that it's all a fabrication and a fantasy? I mean, in the world according to hornet, this stuff never happens, right?

18. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

let's at least tip our hats to the police for charging one of their own.

and in Victoria, the police might have just shot the boys first. here they could have bribed the police and got off.

/end cynicism

19. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

And exactly how are we supposed to respect the police when they show this kind of attitude to motorcyclists?

I understand that the actions of one does not reflect the actions of all, but still. 38yo, trained and fully qualified policeman.... You would expect A LOT FKN BETTER. If he is guilty, I hope they lock him up for a fkn long time

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Re: Police officer charged over 'rope across bike path' booby-trap

I'm just waiting for Hornet to tell us it's urban myth these things happen again....