Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cop Cam Set to Roll

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Justus, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Another Safety Initiative?

2. Another Revenue Raiser?

0 vote(s)
  1. Cop cam set to roll
    July 24, 2007 11:30am

UP TO 100 police cars patrolling country Victoria are set to be fitted with video cameras.

Traffic police cars patrolling country Victoria will be fitted with video cameras.

About 100 traffic management unit police cars will be equipped with In-Car Video, which Victorian Police Minister Bob Cameron said would provide an unbiased and accurate representation of events for court evidence or criminal offences.

Mr Cameron said the technology would provide police with a vital training and assessment tool following events such as police pursuits.

"Regional communities will be the first to benefit from this new technology, which will help police combat road trauma and fight crime," he said.

He said the videos would also back the Victorian government's tough anti-hoon, anti-drink and anti-drug driving legislation.

Source: The West Australian - Perth, WA, National & World News

2. Imagine the money VicPol can make selling all the great car chase footage to all those reality TV shows fom America :LOL:
  3. They don't already?
  4. While there are a lot of positives to this initiative one of the things that is taken away is discretion. As pointed out to me by a NSW policeman (they've had these systems in place for a little while now) they now have no discretion when pulling over drivers. Gone are the days where it was "mate you were doing 10 over, just slow down and let this be a warning". Now it's "sorry mate, got you speeding and I'm on candid camera so I have to ping you"
  5. When have you ever been let off! Never in my long long life has it ever happened.
  6. 3 occasions come to mind where I could've been pinched but the plod let me off with a warning. Depends who you get or rather who gets you.
  7. Yeah fair point, been pulled over 5 times in my life and got off the first 2 times. Although the first two were over 20 years ago. :grin:
  8. At least the country coppers would know that they need to behave themselves as their C.O. would be able to review the footage, it does go both ways.
  9. front or back according to tonights news. They can still chuck you in the back if the divvy van and go bush bashing....
  10. you mexicans think you're hard done by don't you. :LOL: All nsw traffic cars have had em for a few years now. Ours record with the lightbar or on demand, and capture the 30 seconds before the lights were hit too, so no point running after you've passed the guy.
  11. they had been trialling it for a while here
    One of our customers tried for the tender using one of our products

It was only a matter of time
  12. My first reaction, exactly. On the upside, bastard cops who just want to harass you should be less of a problem... possibly. :roll:
  13. Thats my reaction aswell,

Kepp the B@st@rds Honest