Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Coolent / Oil

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ksystemz, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Just questions regarding this, i'm trying to find the best coolent and oil for my bike as this will be there first time i am servicing my bike. Since my bike is older now, i think what the manual states is quite invalid.

What would be the best/cheapest coolent,oil to get for my bike.

Yam r6 00
  2. What does the manual state and why do you think it's invalid?
  3. it states , yamalube 4 10w-30 or SAE
  4. Yes I would agree that 30 is too light for an Australian summer.

Any fully synthetic 10W-40 or 5W-40 should be fine. Go back to the 30 for winter.

there is probably no reason to doubt the coolant spec which is probably something like 50:50. which you can get from any "repco".
  5. Your bike is liquid cooled so the thermostat regulates the engine temperature. As long as everything's working the temperature should not get too high to cook your oil, even in summer.

The recommended oil or good quality equivalent will be fine.
  6. Use a silicate free coolant for bikes. Unless you like changing water pumps. Shell makes a very reasonably priced one but I can't think of the name off the top of my head.

PS Shell Coolguard OAT. Found an old bottle laying around. Mix with distilled water and Bobs your mothers brother :)

PPS I'm running engine ice in one of my bikes (dirt bike with no cooling fan) and no complaints with that. Previously used to puke a bit of coolant when the going got real slow but does not seem to do that any more. So I guess it lives up to the makers claim of lowering engine temps.