Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Jimi, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Hi All,

Just a quick question, and will show my naivety, but is the coolant in bikes the same or different than cars? Does anyone recommend a brand/type?

2. Same and any commercial coolant should work fine. Just make sure if you're using the concentrated stuff to only use distilled water to dilute it (not tap water).
  3. For what it's worth, I have been assured by someone whose mechanical opinion I respect, that Toyota's house brand is the best available for corrosion protection.

Hasn't stopped me using Tectalloy in everything I own though.
  4. +1 and distilled water. 50% ratio for most bikes.
  5. You can save yourself mixing with distilled water by buying premix. Beware, most of these are only 30% mix but some are 50% so check carefully.

I use 'TECTALLOY 100 PLUS' which can be bought from auto stores or Kmart in a 5 litre bottle. Well worth the price for the convenience. Plus it means you still have a couple of litres left over that you can use to top up without having to mix first. :)
  6. There are also two main types of coolants. type A and type B. The cheap stuff (under $20) are generally type B coolants. They are corrosion inhibitors only. Type A coolants have anti freeze anti boil and corrosion inhibitor.

I use nulon brand or toyota brand.
    Distilled water aswell.