Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

coolant? same stuff for cars and bikies??

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by ronin11, Dec 26, 2005.

1. im heading away at the end of the week, riding through tassie, was washing the bike today and noticed the coolant reserve tank is low.. can i refill this with car coolant or do i have to use special bike coolant?

also, do i mix it or just use straight coolant? in the manual it says alot obout using the correct mixture, but doesnt tell you what that mixture is...

2. Read the manual on your bike to verify the ratios of coolant
    On most modern jap bikes its 50% coolant and 50% distilled water

So in theory buy a clean bucket from Bunnings for $1 set this aside for only mixing the coolant
    Buy 2 liters of concentrated coolant, dont skimp and buy crap get a known brand eg shell
    Buy 2 liters of distilled water mix them up you have 4 liters enough to fill you up.
    Put the excess amount into a sealable plastic container $5 from Kmart
    Buy this from Repco and send lots of $$$$$$ buy it from Kmart and it will be cheaper
    You should change the coolant every 50000ks or every two years

3. I haven't had a liquid cooled bike for long enough to find out if the whole car/bike thing matters though I'm sure you'll get plenty of comments. However....The correct mixture is what's already in there. The brands don't like to be mixed so if you don't know what you've got you can either do an entire coolant replace or top it up with water. Rule of thumb is, if you don't know whats in it, top up with water. Distilled is best but straight out of the tap is fine.

4. I was told that this doesn't really matter in Australia because you only need a small amount of coolant to increase the boiling temp and the recomended 50% is to lower the freezing temp for colder climates, that said i am no mechanic so i can't really say that the info is correct. :?

5. I don't know if this applies to "modern" bikes, but my Honda CX650 can only use a coolant that doesn't have abrasive particles added.

Apparently most coolants have abrasive particles added to scrub the cooling system to remove oxides etc. But if used in the CX it can block the narrow passages in the cooling system.

The only suitable one available in Australia is Tectaloy VPlus. It's the official Holden GM-H coolant. (Used 50:50).

Personally I wouldn't use tap water. Maybe Melbourne water would be ok, but I've seen the particulates that can come out of Adelaide water (although I'm told they have cleaned it up a lot recently.) Besides, distilled water is cheap. 5 litres costs just a few dollars at Coles.

6. Oh, by the way; the above only applies to bikes.
    "bikies" however shoudn't use ethylene glycol. It does taste nice but it makes you go blind.
    Stick to ethanol. :LOL:

7. thanks for the warning about not being fit for bikie consumption.. i guess ill just have to stick with drinking burbon then huh.. was worth a shot :haha:

so i can go get a general coolant and dont have to get a specific bike coolant then? and a 50/50 mix with distilled water.. schweet.. my mission for today is to make sure everything is running okay and get the fluids topped up for my big trip.. thanls for the help.

8. The coolants are all made in the same factory generally, from father was a chemist at orica that lil bit of info was passed to me.

9. Any recommendations for a non-ethylene glycol based corrosion inhibitor coolant, compatible with modern aluminium engines (i.e. not alcohol based), and suitable for track days?

10. :shock: Tap water is not fine, maybe if you were stuck 1000s of kays in the middle of nowhere you might risk it but in an alloy motor only ever use distilled water, preferably de-ionised.

11. Hmmm, tap water or cook the engine? If there's nothing else it will do. Just replace the coolant when you get the chance. I didn't say it was as good as distilled, just that it'd do if it had to. You're right though, I should have explained that. :)

12. Distilation and de-ionisation are two different ways of purifying water.
    Distiled water is more pure than de-ionised water, but in most applications (including in coolant) either is fine.

Distillation is by boiling and condensing, de-ionising is by reverse osmosis.

(Distillation removes all the ions etc that de-ionisation does, plus other impurities that de-ionising doesn't remove.)

13. Yep aware of the differences between the two, poor quality de-ionised may contain some anionic organics however laboratory grade de-ionised is generally on a par with distilled. The main difference is that distilled water can contain a higher level of disolved gasses, really though either one is fine as long as you use the right coolant.

14. OK, good point.

15. The initial question about whether car and bike coolant are the same still hasn't been answered.

16. In my opinion they are the same.
    Use the coolant the manufacturer of your bike recommends. If there is no recommendation, or if the recommended product is not available, then I would use Tectaloy VPlus diluted with DI water or distilled water 50:50.
    (YMMV.)
    Cheers,

SG

17. To put it in perspective. The coolant recommended for my Subaru is not recommeded by GM-H, and vice versa.

18. Thanx for the prompt reply.