Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Coolant: pro & cons

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by abvc, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Hi guys, anybody know the pro & cons of Tectaloy 100 Plus and water wetter? may add other coolants as well

2. Pro: It's a coolant
    Con: You can't drink it

And what exactly is "water wetter"? :?
  3. Watter Wetter is a product used instead of traditional coolant because it is non-slick (if you crash on the track people behind you wont slide).

I am about to change my coolant to Water Wetter apparently it brings the bike temp down too.
  4. Ahh I see. Did some reading (I'm bored at the moment) and seems water wetter is just a polymer surfactant.
    I've used similar chemicals before and whilst yes they do certainly lower surface tension of the water they do also tend to have a habit of clogging pipes and killing pumps. I wouldn't imagine that'd be an issue for a track bike if you're rebuilding the engine regularly but I don't see a point in using it in a road bike myself (unless you like replacing the water pump).
  5. hm interesting. where did you the info about 'clogging pipes and killing pumps.'?
  6. That's from personal experience of having to repair pumps and clear clogs from pipes on a regular basis (clog clearing was daily, pumps were every few weeks). Admittedly those were handling a fairly concentrated solution of a polymer surfactant, but then they weren't running all the time either. Did find this site though which covers the same issue (conglomeration of the molecules into "goo").
    Edit: To be fair the product does probably do what it's supposed to, and the clogging effect would depend on the concentration and pH (but then who checks the pH of their radiator). I just reckon that if you need extra cooling on a road bike you'd probably be better off looking at other options - or finding the reason why it's running hot in the first place.
  7. Water Wetter is used by everyone that goes to track days all around the world I am quite sure it is safe to use and used properly it will not clog pipes or wreck water pumps
  8. Big difference between a trackbike that someone is rebuilding/replacing on a fairly regular basis and a commuter/tourer that someone just wants to rack up high kms without any serious problems. So like I said before, should be fine for a track bike but I'd be wary about using it in a roadbike - especially if the only reason for using it is simply because track bikes use it.
  9. Well I guess its up to the individual and what purpose their bike serves.
    I guess for a commuter the tried and reliable option is the best one.
  10. I gather it has no corrosion protection?
  11. Coolants

Also cooant has additives to slow corrosion that forms in engines with aluminium alloys & steel components in the cooling system.
  12. "WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations."
  13. Improved cooling in water wetter is mostly bollocks - but they get away with it because vehicle temperatures are constantly changing anyway and you couldn't tell.

Read up on what PC water-coolers think of the stuff. Makes fcuk all difference in that environment where ambient temp and heat generation can be held constant. Radiator size and airflow is what really changes your temps, not different coolants. There are very few liquids that transfer heat as quickly as water & can store as much heat as water.
  14. Not many liquds with 4210-4220 kJ/kg/K specific heat

From MSDS:

DiIsoPropyl Alcohol Ether 1-4.9% CAS #25265-71-8 Symbol: Xi R36
    TriIsopropyl Alcohol Diether 1-4.9% CAS #24800-44-0 Symbol: Xi R36
    Sodium Molybdate 1-4.9% CAS #10102-40-6 Symbol: Xi R36, R38
    Tolyltriazole 1-3% CAS #29385-43-1 Symbol: Xi R36, R38
    PolySiloxane Polymer

Any Chemical Engineers here?
  15. -DiIsoPropyl Alcohol Ether 1-4.9% CAS #25265-71-8 Symbol: Xi R36
    -TriIsopropyl Alcohol Diether 1-4.9% CAS #24800-44-0 Symbol: Xi R36
    Simply solvents - but with a much lower boiling point than glycol (only 70 degrees!)

Sodium Molybdate 1-4.9% CAS #10102-40-6 Symbol: Xi R36, R38
    -Corrosion Inhibitor

Tolyltriazole 1-3% CAS #29385-43-1 Symbol: Xi R36, R38
    -Is also a corrosion inhibitor, but only for copper/brass

PolySiloxane Polymer
    -The surfactant that reduces the surface tension of the water. Also a material that although viscous at high temperatures will solidify at lower temperatures. Properties also vary depending on flow time - ie if you leave it sit it will flow but if it connects with something moving fast (like say a pump impeller) it will behave more like solid rubber. It's the same stuff used to make "silly putty", and you really have to wonder if that's something you want in your engine.
  16. If water wetter makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, feel free to use it. It's a great bandaid for poor cooling system maintenence, so is Bar's Leaks. Just don't try to get them out of your radiator after a couple of years.......
    Frankly, in a cooling system pressurised to at least 10psi, water wetter is a toss, as pressure in the system forces the coolant into intimate contact with every surface in the system.
    The real reason to use a PROPER coolant and not just "water wetter" is a higher boiling point for the cooling system and corrosion protection, no not reduction of corrosion, elimination of it if the coolant is at the correct ratios.
    Water wetter has been debunked by many and varied sources.

Regards, Andrew.
  17. Sorry to hijack the thread (but it's relevant :cool: )
    What type of coolant should I be using in my '93 ZXR750??
    Thanks and regards
  18. great info thanks guys. i flushed with tectaloy 100 plus today. its sales rep added that it is Silicate inhibitor free.

i can't believe that my coolant color is a mix between blue(kawasaki factory) , green (dealer top up) and drops of black oil!

a question, which is be better, premix or selfmix?
  19. are they chemicals in water wetter?
  20. does water wetter performs better for short use like couple days of racing? will the negative reaction happen on short use?