Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

coolant loss!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by timmy84, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Hey, my bike is loosing coolant from under the pillion seat when the bike gets turned off and has been pretty hot. i posted this same question but i can't find the answer to it. the bike runs fine other than this. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. If it's only after it gets hot, and only for a little while, then it's more than likely OK

liquid cooled systems have an "expansion tank" connected to the radiator inlet tank (top tank, or header tank), often connects at the radiator cap. What you check for coolant level is this expansion tank, it should be filled between the upper and lower mark, not right to the top.

When the bike is hot, coolant expands, goes to the expansion tank, if that fills, it goes out the overflow pipe and you see it as a puddle.

When the coolant cools down, it will replace the lost coolant from the expansion tank.

So if your filling th eexpansion tank to the top, it'll always leave a puddle after it gets hot, if you fill to the max line and no more, it'll stop happening.

If the level is OK, and it always leaks coolant, time for a flush, clean and pressure test.

Hope that helps

3. I took off all the faring and had a look. you were right about what was happening. but i think i will clean it and get it pressure tested. this is the first liquid cooled bike i've had so im still learing.thanks for the info it really helped.
  4. Winner! glad to help.

My across has the expansion tank right in front of a slot in the fairing, so you can check the level easily without taking anything off :)

well,you could if the tank wasn't effected by heat, cos it's gone completely white and ya can't see anything :?