Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Coolant for CBR125R

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Levih, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Hey there,

Was just wondering if anyone could help me out,

I was just wondering what brand/make of coolant i need for my CBR125R,
    The manual just said something about anti-freeze or corrosive.

Any help?

2. Hi levi,

The vast majority of bikes run a 50/50 ethylene glycol mix. I personally use the cheap stuff that you can get at super cheap auto, kmart etc. You can buy this stuff premixed or you can mix it yourself using a concentrate. If mixing it yourself make sure you use distilled water. I use the premixed stuff as it saves stuffing around.

Noting you have a 2009 CBR125R, I am assuming you just wish to top up and not do the whole coolant change thing. There will be some debate that you shouldn't mix coolat types, however provided its a 50/50 mix it will be OK.

3. Cheers for the tip,

I just went and bought Silkolene from Supercheap, its the 50/50 mix,
    The honda provided coolant is Green, where this one is blue, now the whole mixing debate, what are the possibilitys of bad things to happen?
  4. The main thing to worry about is mixing ethylene glycol with propylene glycol based coolent. As a rule of thumb ethylene is green/blue and propylene is orange.

Chances are your bike would have come with ethylene based, it's cheaper and does the job fine.

You should flush the system though if your not sure what's already in there, it's normaly not much harder than just topping up

Sure there's not a sticker on the bike or something in the manual?
  5. already need to change coolant??? generally coolant in bikes last 10x longer than cars
  6. Mine being fuel injected would have something to do with that?
  7. I can't see why that would make much of a difference. When you checked the coolant level was the bike level or was it sitting on the sidestand? You should take all your readings when the bike is level (ie someone holding it up for you or on a rear stand).