Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Convex mirrors

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by cygnus, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

My rhs mirror is broken, and it won't sit still on the bike, so I went onto ebay and bought these:

Now, they just arrived. A couple of issues arose.

Firstly, they're convex mirrors. I read on another thread here that it's legal to have convex mirrors. But since objects appear smaller than then really are, what are some of the things I need to watch out for? Does anyone here have both mirrors convex and can share some experience using them?

Secondly, the stalks are a little bit shorter, and on the GS500, the mirrors are already pretty short. I might need some extenders, any ideas?

Lastly, I can't get the old mirror off, on either side! Any tips on how to get the old mirrors off? I tried using a wrench and it deformed the screw thingy.

2. Traps for young and ebay players.

Convex mirrors distort perception but we can adapt. Well some can be bothered.

On cars I can adapt to the passenger one but not the driver one. On a bike I reckon you need both linear (not much room for (safe) error). Send them back or tosss them.

Life's too short as it is.
  3. Yep, don't like the idea of either convex OR concave mirrors. Better off staying atandard, I reckon.
  4. Can't resist it...

"Objects in mirrror are closer than they appear"

Attached Files:

5. Convex mirrors are fine under the ADRs as long as their radius of curvature is above a certain value (which I can't remember at the mo and is hard to measure anyway) and as long as they are both the same.

I've been driving and riding with convex mirrors for 25 years and, as long as you combine them with the headchecking you should be doing anyway, they're not a problem.

Did have a bit of a weird few minutes with a rental Renault last time I was in the UK. It had convex mirrors and the driver's side one also had a portion of its surface shaped to form a little blind spot mirror. Once I'd realised what was going on it was fine though. It just wasn't as obvious as the little stick on ones you can get.
  6. Well, I've been using these for a week now, and they seem okay. I've adapted to them, and they're much better than the old mirrors I replaced (mainly because of less vibration on the left, and actually having a mirror that works on the right). Of course, I always head check, so ...

I also drive a VW that has section of the mirror on the driver's side that's convex. I find that very useful actually, but the bike mirrors are no where near as convex as that.
  7. Agreed that the heavily domed blind spot mirrors are good. I've got a pair on my van and find that I actually use them all the time, rather than the flat mirror face. The field of vision is huge.
  8. Having just switched back to standard mirrors from convex, I definitely prefer convex mirrors. Anything more than 100m behind you can't really see (too small), but they allow you to keep an eye on all the traffic immediately around you which is much more important IMO.

It just takes a week or two to get used to the size of cars in the mirror. At first it's hard to spot a tailgater because the reflection appears further away compared to a standard mirror.