Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Converting to twin low beam headlamps

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by listek, Nov 25, 2010.

1. I just had a bit of a look at the headlamps on my Yamaha FZ6S with an eye to converting them to having both of them on when on low beam instead of just one as it is now. I'm finding I'm riding around with high beam on during the day for the extra visibility but I'm not sure if this is pissing off anyone when I ride up behind for example.

I was hoping it would be as simple as plugging in a high/low lamp and running a wire across from the other side but the mounts are different so that's a no go. Unless it's possible to find a high/low lamp with the same base as the low lamp I think you'd have to fabricate a base, or hope that maybe European bikes have the opposite orientation for the lights and use part of a Euro bikes lamp surround.

Anyone know of a twin headlamp Yamaha like a Fazer or R1 that has been converted? Or even better how it's been done before?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Phil

2. Yes, you could do it, as long as you don't exceed the power ratings of the bike, ie if the cabling is for a 35w globe & want to run 2 x 35w globes, you'd need an extra relay & cabling to power it.

But: the focal point of each light is different, so it won't be any/much different from running high beam anyway.

Just run your high beam & dip it if you think it'll be a problem.

3. Not sure about ACT, but need a high beam to pass the pink in NSW.
    Good idea though... my high beam is useless because it turns my low beam off to run it, and then i cant see the road in front of me, only 50m+ ahead... Adjusting it doesnt help, then i see whats in front of me (as i did with the low beam) but cant see past 50m ahead...
    Useless i tells ya! Two low beams, one a few deg higher then the other, would do the trick nicely and not bother drivers too much as its not nearly as focused. Will follow the thread, be sure to let us know how it goes :D. Next bike is so getting dual lows and highs...

4. Just get HID's they work 1000% percent better.

The difference is; are you ready for it? Night & Day!

:rofl:

Sorry...

5.  Top
  6. With a single head housing system as in the FZ6n/s, I personally think you'd be much better off:

(1) Installing a SMALL pair of halogen or LED spotlights which supplements your main low beam. My previous naked bike - a ER5 - had the single headlamp housing which I then installed a pair of Super Cheap halogens on either side of the housing - it was brilliant, because aside from really illuminating the road on either sides (very helpful when approaching corners or roundabouts at night), the "triangle" or lights made me very very visible to oncoming traffic - my safety officer mate who often rides ahead of me commented he could always tell it was me behind him, thanks to this triangle of 3 lamps. See attached picture.

(2) If that is not enough illumination for you, then you can also upgrade your globe (www.powerbulbs.com is excellent - I use them), or get a HID kit from ebay to convert your halogen H4 globe to a HID one (which will be about 3 times brighter) - the only thing is if you take the HID path, you just need to make sure you can find space to install the ballast and ignitor (which while quite small these days, still takes up space). I have this HID kit installed on my F4i, but I do have a big headlamp housing which I stick the kit inside.

I DO NOT suggest running with your high beam on at anytime in normal traffic, day or night, because it does annoy oncoming traffic (whether they flash you or not), and that can also cause them to be distracted, potentially endangering you. A triangulation of 3 low beams, is much better than a constant high beam at anytime.

I say this about the high beam, because during my recent trip down to Phillip Island (from Sydney), I had the high beam side of my F4i's dual headlamp housing (left low, right high beam) running at 40% intensity - I had set it up this way (using a €70 Dutch module that feeds between 10-40% current to the high beam when only the low beam was in use), so I always had both lamps on, to make myself more visible to oncoming traffic (or traffic I was following); a single headlamp IMO often doesn't tell traffic I'm a motorbike, but perhaps a car with one lamp down.

Anyway, those 2000kms of riding resulted in MANY vehicles, including trucks, flashing their lights at me, because of my constant high beam, despite it only running at 40%. Some poor bloke at the Nasho I was following a month ago, even stopped and pointed out my 40% constant high beam was blinding him in his rear mirrors (it was, because my mate confirmed it later when I followed him). High beams annoy people, even at lower levels, I know because they often annoy me when a doof doof Subey with poorly adjusted HID's blind me when his machine hits the slightest of road bumps! I've since adjusted the intensity of my constant high beam down to 20%, and I will get my mate to check his rear mirrors to see if the constant high beam (now at 20%) still blinds or annoys. I may have to adjust it lower.

Anyway, in summary, I think with a single headlamp housing like the one on the FZ6, a pair of small spotlights (there are some beautiful LED ones now available, check ebay or motorbike web sellers in USA) will be best, resulting in a triangulation of lamps. In many ways the single headlamp housing with auxilliary spotlights looks far more beautiful than most sportbikes' dual headlamp that often only lights up on one side (or a dimmer hi beam side like on mine).

Good luck. (am happy to suggest wiring for auxilliary spots - just PM me).

Attached Files:

7. All good tips, but I'll just clarify: a 35w HID H4 globes is 3 x brighter than standard, & a 55w H4 globe is, from memory, 3 or 4 times brighter than the 35w HID.

The H4 is a 55w globe, so you can fit a 55W HID with no problems.