Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Converting from a naked bike to a cruiser

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Tanksie, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Hi guys, new member here wanting to dip into the wisdom pool.

I have had my Ls for a good 18 months, riding my 2013 Hyo GT250 that whole time, but I feel it's time for an upgrade. I am no longer worried about dropping the bike and I want something more capable on the freeway but something that I can still commute comfortably in. I am looking VERY intently at a brand new 2014 Star XVS650 custom (8990 ride away, hoping to haggle a couple of hundred off). But I wanted to ask about how tough it is for me as the rider to change from the style of bike I am used to, and is the XVS what I am looking for?
  2. It can be difficult the leather chaps take some getting used to :wacky:
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LOL /\/\ all that air blasting up your trouser leg....

take it for a blat... much heavier, different handling etc... you won't know until you stick a leg over :)
    if it's the style of bike you want to ride eventually.. just do it!
  4. Just is to just try it out, find a friend that has a cruiser or test ride one!
  5. There will be chaps of no kind!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. out of experience ive owned seven bikes, and you get used to the switch in a day
  7. That's encouraging. Would really really suck if I screwed up.
  8. The riding position won't be too tough to get used to, but you do have a lot less lean angle.
    The other big change is XVS' have a really touchy clutch. Limited movement and fairly heavy.
    It's a common complaint from their owners. It does take a bit of getting used to so be prepared to stall it regularly at first.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I heard that, just how bad is it?
  10. #10 Stever42, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    There is a fix you can get, called a clever. There's posts in the cruiser pages on it.
    The standard clutch lever doesn't give you a great operating point. The clutch is either on or off, and the activation point is quite far from the handgrip which makes it a little awkward. For some they are stretching their hand to feather the clutch when you have to move in traffic.
    The clever just widens the operating point to a more reasonable range, and giving you a little better leverage.

The other downside is the wide bars which make it a little harder to filter.
  11. You get used to the small friction zone but yeah it can be fiddly in the slow stuff parking, traffic etc. Especially with winter gloves on.

Also, I don't know what the Hyo is like but if you're doing a lot of highway k's you'll notice it on the 650 as the revs will up. It's just how they're geared. Change the grips if you get one, best thing I've done to mine for rideability.

That said, they're a great bike, easy to ride and reliable. See if you can get on one somehow and have a taste.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. /\/\/\
    Wot he said.
    Twitchy clutch, but goes like a rat up a rope.
    I did about 300km today on my XVS650 Classic. Plenty of blart for the hills, sounds great,
    comfortable enough for 3-4 hours in the saddle and as stable and steady as you could want.
  13. Also, do you guys think the upgrade will be worth my money?
  14. L's for 18 months why?
    will you have 1 year or 3 years on P's

only you can answer if it is worth your money... but always easy keyboard spending other peoples money :D
    so.. go for it :D
  15. Yes, definitely IMO. Much more rideable for longer distances, better at keeping up with traffic and highway speeds.
  16. There should already be discussion on them in the cruiser thread.
  17. I am hoping the extra torque will help keep me comfy on the highway (Less vibrations and engine strain) and help with getting up hills.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. It's tricky to recommend a bike for you, as we don't know how you like to ride.

My advice: A proper test ride, more than just once around the block, will give you a good idea of the style of bike you will like.

It's sometimes a paradox of looks vs function. The bike you like to look at, is not always the bike that you like to be on.

FWIW, I like mean, low cruisers, but prefer to be upright on ugly dual-sport bikes.
    That's one of my problems and my therapist tells me I'm making good progress with this particular issue.
  19. #20 olrence, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Well, I received the Clevver, installed and now trialled.

It works exactly as advertised, with the friction point coming in earlier and softer.
    Recommended for anyone with a Yamaha cruiser who's experiencing the usual
    snatchiness of the standard clutch set-up.

Just how Yamaha missed this is beyond me, when a fix is so simple.

So, happy day!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1