Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Convert (and burn) AVI to DVD

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Mouth, Sep 2, 2007.

1. What is the recommended program for being able to take a .AVI file and convert it to DVD format for playing on a standard DVD player?

No mention of Nero please .. it's the worst piece of bloat and memory eater by far.

A nice piece of trim and light GPL app would be good. don't care if it only creates an ISO, can easily burn that.

Thx.

2. I normally go from .AVI to MPEG using TMPGEnc (freeware) and then either burn direct or run it through a DVD authoring program like Ulead.

Cheers,

Mark

3. Thx.

Already tried Film Machine, but it crashes about 2 secs after hitting the burn button. Thinking it doesn't like Vista 64-bit

Just found ConvertXtoDVD and it's great. 20 mins later, and I've already found a full version :wink:, downloaded, installed, and it's converting as I type :)

4. Have I missed something? Vista comes with moviemaker and can take an avi and burn to dvd out of the box.

5. I use ffmpeg on linux and the mac I think its available for windows. I know DVDauthor is which you need to create the layout...

All GPL and ffmpeg is about the fastest convertor I've used.

6. Your DVD player doesn't play .avi???

7. Not for me .. the publish to DVD option is greyed out, all others are OK. I thought perhaps it's a codec issue? But then Media Player works fine for the AVI. Shrug!

8. Why didn't I think of that? :p
    No, it's doesn't. Any very few decent quality one's do. It's only your sub $150 taiwans that mostly do.

9. Thats why i bought one got bored of doing the conversions, just bought a cheapie for the DIVX...

10. I know it doesnt help but that is the reason I bought an xbox.
    Leave the avi on my server and play it over the network on the TV. not to mention streaming TV and radio from the net in the lounge.

Only problem is that it can't really handle the 1080p files.