Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Controversial Bikes Brands

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Faramir, Aug 22, 2008.

1. This thread will definitely stir up some more arguments. I will not state my views. I will express what I think has been expressed here. In no particular order.

Number One:
    HYOSUNG - especially GT250R
    Pro Camp: love it. Great value for money
    Against Camp: there are many, especially ex-owners. Questions about quality, reliablity and how Hysungs have been built.

This brand has stirred up so much debate and emotions amongst our Netriders.

Number Two:
    I haven't seen any trashing of Harley Davidson for a very very long time. I think some of us think that Harleys are over priced Cruisers???? Just rich wannabes who want to be tough. Can't comment on the bike itself. I know so little about them. I think it is the image that makes people react. Help me on this one cos I'm lost with this brand. Maybe I should not have nominated Harley Davidsons.

Number THREE:
    Zhongseng and any new Chinese brand bike
    Not controversial yet, when people start buying them on mass, then I guess all the comments will come out.

Number 4, 5, 6 .... Help me. Not sure why I wrote this thread. I guess I got tired of reading another Hyosung thread.
  2. some people understand harleys, some people dont.
    there is no point explaining to those who dont.
  3. What?!!

It's all Ducati, Ducati, DUCATI!!

I don't know of any other brand that polarizes riders opinions more.

Even Harley riders have to take to dressing like gay men on a Saturday night to get more attention.

And we all know what Ducatis are like , don't we?
  4. Nice tread Faramir. Heres my nomination.

Deus Ex Machina?

Charging cashed up latte sipping, foreign movie watching accountants 20 large for a pre-cafe'd SR 400. It's a close call between instant cool or instant blow hard.
  5. I was reading about that Deus Ex Machina... I was dumbfounded... who in their right mind....

They aren't even taking new bikes and making them hot like a decent car tuning house... they take old ones and do it. Baby Jesus is crying right now.

I'd throw in MV myself, they are an old company that won some races with their bikes back before I was born. Like most euro bikes they are quite expensive for what they are (this also applies to euro cars). Although it seems to have more to do with Australia than the original cost (my experience is from cars more so than cars).

Their most recent adventures were nice bikes sure, but had issues and cost the earth compared to the Jap bikes, from a business perspective the japs have it right (though it would be nice if they could speed up with updates electronically imo, then again cars are the worst offenders with this).

Ohh and Indian, call me a ignorant youngin but the old school bikes are horn for their reasons. BUT all these lets rebuild what we had attempts are annoying and seem to end up with lots of money going into the wind. Maybe it would be worth making new companies at least and getting something that can sell as your bread and butter before making flagship models that cost the earth.

Everybody wants to be the Ferrari of the bike world :roll:
  6. The products of the Triumph Workers Cooperative and the most controversial of the lot, the 1977 Silver Jubilee T140 Bonneville. Built in tiny numbers to celebrate HM's 25 years on the throne came with special patriotic finish. A completely loopy idea when quality control would have been a more worthwhile addition. A must for the Triumph collector.
  7. Ah, but the other day I saw in the flesh their Kawasaki W650 done up in tracker style and damn, it was a beautiful thing... if that sort of thing rocks your boat. As to the 'who in their right mind...' , well, II enjoy riding bikes not working on them, so Deus Ex Machina make perfect sense to me. Yes they are expensive and I'm sure you could build something like that yourself for a lot less if you wanted to put in your own effort. But that's the whole point - you pay them so you don't have to.

Also, although they do second-hand bikes too, I think at least some of their bikes are new, imported from Japan where they are still being made. At least that was the case a year or so ago.
  8. If their bikes weren't so bloody cool to look at they'd be arrested for theft charging the prices they do for old dungas made over. I tend to side on instant blow hard just because once they finish wanking on over it they'll come to earth with a thud when they realise the resale on the bike is shite.
  9. The Hyosung range definitely polarises opinion, but then so did Honda when it first stated selling road bikes. The then President of Norton is famously quoted as saying in response to a question about the threat from Honda; "People have always bought British bikes, and they always will." I think people ignore the Koreans (and lately also the Chinese) at their peril.

Harleys polarise opinion among those who don't ride them; those who DO don't give a damn about opinion, which is why they have loud obnixious exhausts and security-fenced 'club-houses' :LOL:.
  10. Maybe the more old school riders. But I'm sure there's some 40yo accountants out there that bought a HD to change peoples opinion (perception) of them.

As for the Deus, bring on the Grevious Angel.
  11. Deus Ex Machina is good for inspiration for backyarders.
  12. Benelli and Moto Morini...... for the true double decaf Latte drinkers amoung us....they do 'look' good tho, which is a good thing seeing how they spend most of their lives parked outside cafe's in Lygon Street.....

Boy....bet that throws the cat amoung the pigeons. Tee Hee.

p.s I'm only jealous really. :( :p
  13. Heh, Benelli... definitely. They were so bad at one stage that their owners in England were trying to organise a class action against them on the grounds the product they sold was unfit for its stated purpose. Although they're supposed to be better now with all that Chinese cash behind them.

But Moto Morini seem pretty solid by most accounts, maybe not top shelf quality-wise, but they don't deserve to be lumped with Benelli... Although I wonder... for a while there used to be a nice-looking Corsaro Veloce parked on a street I pass quite often. But recently I noticed it's been replaced by a Bandit 1250. I don't know if it means the owner decided his Moto Morini was too good for a daily commute to work and got himself a second bike, or whether he decided to replace his Morini with a Bandit for some reason? If I ever actually see the guy rather than just his bikes, I'd love to ask.
  14. If I remember Loz's review correctly, he thought that the Cosaro Veloce was a bit too mental for an everyday ride.
  15. I have worked on a lot of different makes, and to be honest i prefer to work on the asian stuff compared to the American or Euro stuff.

I find from an engineering point of view that the asian stuff is more precise and efficient and always improving.

i am sure some people will disagree, but even the korean stuff is getting better as will the chinese.

the bike market is growing and the asians are smart, they will do what needs to be done in order to get their share. Watch them closely.
  16. I've got a soft spot for Morini - I always wanted one of the old 3 1/2s.
    Anyone who can make a bike that looks like that deserves respect.

And as for the Chinese...
    From Guy Allen on Bikepoint.com

Three makers working on inline fours

Three Chinese motorcycle makers - Zongshen, Loncin and Jialing - are reported to be developing 600-class inline four motorcycle engines, with the intention of moving into the export market in the very near future.

A favourable exchange rate and low labour costs mean the bikes are very likely to be more than competitive with the main Japanese competition.

Of the three makers, Zongshen may be the best known in the West, having competed in the endurance road race world championships for several years with a Suzuki.

Australian Warwick Nowland was one of the riders.

The company was also known to be working on a mid-capacity and one-litre V-twins, though neither have been seen in production bikes.

Zongshen has considerable engine experience.

It already offers a wide range of small three and four-cylinder automotive powerplants, plus engines for marine and general power applications.
  17. Harleys are great bikes, I wouldn't get one but for the people who love them theyare fit for purpose.

Hyosungs are gain good cheap bikes, can you spend your money more wisely? Possibly but when they first came out there was not as much choice as today if you were over 6'2" and wanted some leg room. LAMs has changed everything.

DeusExmachina, I love their bikes. Just beautiful pieces of custom motorcylcing. Again if they float your boat go for it.
  18. These guys need to be watched, I am willing to put money on it.

First Chinese based Grand Prix team, with John Surtees as their patron. They could emerge as the first internationally recognised, successful Chinese motorcycle manufacturer.
  19. Ah, the Hyosungs. I raced a 125 Hyosung a while back ago in Korea. They were pretty crap back then (still fun), but they've come a long ways since. Still, they have a lot of work to do before them.

Hell, as a Korean myself, I'd like to see them put in a good challenge to the Japanese makers in the future. :p It does seem that Hyosung has been much more successful in Aus than in say, North America. They're still pretty rare in up there.

Interesting link. Thanks for the info. I've heard of Zongshen before because of their World Endurance racing efforts, but that doesn't really count cause unlike these guys, they weren't using their own bikes!

It'll be interesting once the Chinese manufacturers are mature enough to start exporting their bikes.

Interesting times we live in. Never thought I'd ever ride a Chinese bike, but at this rate, I'm pretty sure that I'll at least get to try one sometime in the future. :)
  20. Brands like Zong shen have a very long way to go if they want to break into the market in this country.

The ZS250GS which is the "sports" 250 road bike has only 13 kilowatts and 16nm of torque for what is a very heavy 166kilo's for a 250cc.
    Yammie scorpio has similar power but only 119 kilo's for the same money, you'd be mad to pick dodgy chinese build/parts availability over a yammie. The local dealer here was stripping parts from the show room demo's to use to fix customers bikes rather than long wait for parts ex china to arrive.